sending spam to my contacts RRS feed

• Question

• hello can anyone help me here i am sure u had this question alot.but anyways 

i am sending out spam emails to my contacts how do i get rid of this its like some is using my account  please help. i have done a virus scan a couple of times now but found nothing so any help would be good cheers baz

• Moved by JOshiro Friday, September 10, 2010 8:49 PM account question (From:Windows Live Messenger Connect)
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Baz,

You probably have fallen victim to a successful phishing attack that has acquired your email address and password, and utilized that to gain your contacts list. The phishing attacker uses financial or social engineering language for example "Click here to see who is searching for you on Google".  Subsequent spam to your contacts appear to be from you, but a check of the email header would indicate that the originating IP is not a Microsoft/Yahoo/Google address. I don’t believe there is a solution to this. The moral of the story is to never disclose your credentials unless you are sure you are speaking to the true authority.

Doug

• Marked as answer by JOshiro Friday, September 10, 2010 8:48 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Baz,

You probably have fallen victim to a successful phishing attack that has acquired your email address and password, and utilized that to gain your contacts list. The phishing attacker uses financial or social engineering language for example "Click here to see who is searching for you on Google".  Subsequent spam to your contacts appear to be from you, but a check of the email header would indicate that the originating IP is not a Microsoft/Yahoo/Google address. I don’t believe there is a solution to this. The moral of the story is to never disclose your credentials unless you are sure you are speaking to the true authority.

Doug

• Marked as answer by JOshiro Friday, September 10, 2010 8:48 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 1:27 PM
  • i dont beleive i have dislosed any credentials  or anything like that i never open any emails that come to me i dont no who there are doug.

there must be away to stop that happening  cheers for reply tho doug :)

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:06 PM