Streaming Video "Clips" RRS feed

• Question

• What's the best way to stream short video clips that are on WHS? If at all possible I'd like to avoid a "login to view" process.  I can build a web page but wanted to know what players are best used?  The question is asked from the standpoint of creating a small footprint in terms of WHS running it.

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:53 AM

All replies

• Locally, the easy way is to make sure your media files are in a format supported by both Windows Home Server and the client device/software, and use the built-in functionality. Afar, there's no simple way. There's nothing built into Windows Home Server to allow you to stream media over the Internet, so you'll need to find additional software that will work in your situation. If all you want to do is download and play short clips, use the Remote Access web site to do so.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I sort of envision a concept like Youtube but stored on WHS and only shared and accessed by 2-3 people from the internet and not all at once. I'll have to look into some viable solutions.

Has anyone tried an unsupported solution? 

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:13 AM
  • If you do not need to actually "stream" your files, try just converting them into flash files. In doing so when you click on the file it will play like it is streaming but really isn't. Just trying to think outside the circle for ya :)
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:57 PM
  • I'm pretty sure Orb will do it, but it's a heavyweight, if I remember correctly...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:09 PM