Generic!Artemis RRS feed

• Question

• McAfee identified, but could not remove, Generic!Artemis.  So I installed Windows Live OneCare and ran about 10 full system scans, but the virus is still active on my computer.  The Generic!Artemis virus does the following:  1) constantly opens new Websites, such as PCSecurity Shield and The Shield Deluxe 2009;  2) puts icons on my desktop for the PCSecurity Shield;  3) disabled my CD drive;  4) slows computer;  5) prevents me from deleting empty folders, and;  6) prevents me from formatting my C: drive.  I've downloaded the Malicious Software Removal Tool and all of the security updates for Windows and for IE 7, and after running all of these without success, I then installed IE 8, restarted, then ran several Live OneCare full system scans again.  The problem virus was never identified or removed.  At least McAfee was able to identify the virus with every scan it performed.  Question:  when will the Generic!Artemis virus be identified and eliminated, either by the Microsoft security updates, or by Windows Live OneCare?

Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Brian, if there ismalware on your computer that One Care cannot detect or remove please contact support for help with removal. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:55 PM
  • I also found this using Macafee Stinger it indicates that it is either part or hooked onto CoolPDF reader but sofar not having probs as you have identified...am using vista don't know if that is why sofar nothing seems to be worrying too much at the moment other than wondering what it is doing and wondering if it came with CoolPDF Reader or came from the website I downloaded it from.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Also CoolPDF Reader is a standalone not an exe so maybe that is why it is possibly lying dormant on my pc

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I have the same thing. Its a backdoor virus. Good Luck, mine was given to me by a hacker
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:24 AM
  • Hi. I found the Artemis virus strains  ... and there are several, can be removed the latest additions of McAffee Stinger Program.  It is a stand alone program but I used it to find and delete the virus effectively.   The McAffee Stinger Program is updated often.  The last one was on the last week of Nov. 2 2009.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:40 PM