Moving from nntp newsgroups to new web forum RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use these forums as MS appear to have effectively closed down the nntp newsgroups, and so far it's a nightmare.

1. There appear to be between 150 and 200 forums here, of which I'm interested in maybe a dozen of them. How do I hide those I don't want to see?

2. Similarly, once I'm in a forum, how can I mark a thread as ignored so it doesn't show as having new replies?

3. How can I navigate the forum with the keyboard? Seems I have to use a mouse to select a thread and expand it.

I appreciate I've only just started with the forums whereas I've been using my newsreader for over 12 years, but my current feeling is that life's too short. It feels like it's taking 10 times as long to navigate the forums as I can in my newsreader.

Help!

Roger Spencelayh

Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Roger Spencelayh,

Welcome to msdn forums.

1=>

Select the forum you want participate. Once the forum is completely loaded, below the forum title you can see

Add to my forums - Click on that link.

Once you have add all required forums, you Click "My Forums". This will list only those forums you have added.

2=>

Once you open or read a new thread, there is an option for setting alert. You can use this feature to achieve the notifications, which will be directed to your mail, or to your msn messenger as an alert notification.

3=>

Since this forum is a web application, i suspect how much keyboard shortcuts we can use. Hope some other expert over here has a better answer.

:)

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:59 PM
  •    1=>

Select the forum you want participate. Once the forum is completely loaded, below the forum title you can see

Once you have add all required forums, you Click "My Forums". This will list only those forums you have added.

Thanks - that makes it a little easier.

2=>

Once you open or read a new thread, there is an option for setting alert. You can use this feature to achieve the notifications, which will be directed to your mail, or to your msn messenger as an alert notification.

Not quite what I want. I really don't need another pile of emails in my inbox. In my newsreader I just press the Del key on those I'm not interested in, and next time I run the reader the thread is hidden.

3=>

Since this forum is a web application, i suspect how much keyboard shortcuts we can use. Hope some other expert over here has a better answer.

Ahh, part of the Rich Internet Experience :(

And now having used it to reply to a message, can I selectively quote a message? Seems it's all or nothing.

Roger
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:18 PM
  •    1=>

2=>

Not quite what I want. I really don't need another pile of emails in my inbox. In my newsreader I just press the Del key on those I'm not interested in, and next time I run the reader the thread is hidden.

3=>

And now having used it to reply to a message, can I selectively quote a message? Seems it's all or nothing.

Roger

Yes you can quote a message :p

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:23 PM
  •    1=>

2=>

3=>

Roger

Yes you can quote a message :p

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies

Don't think I quite made myself clear. What I meant by selective was to quote part of a message; in the case of your reply to my first message I wanted to quote your reply to my first question, then insert my answer, then do the same for the second etc.

Appreciate your help

Roger
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:43 PM
  •    1=>

2=>

3=>

Roger

Is this wat you meant

Hi Roger Spencelayh,

Welcome to msdn forums.

1=>

2=>

3=>

:)

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies

????

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Not quite. What I was trying to do was something like this:

1=>

My comment here...

2=>

Another comment...

3=>

Final comment...

But I've done that by editing the HTML directly. As I said earlier - Life's too short. :)

Roger
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:36 PM
  • You can post your suggestion in this forum and surely the dev team will reply :)

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:38 PM
  • You can post your suggestion in this forum and surely the dev team will reply :)

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies

Done.

Thanks.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:57 PM
  • 3. How can I navigate the forum with the keyboard? Seems I have to use a mouse to select a thread and expand it.

Personally, i use FireFox with an addon called MLB (Mouseless Browsing) that works with these forums. I have only found one bug so far.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 11:33 AM