Hard drive useage RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using whs for quite some time now. I love the older whs, just add hds and it takes care of them,hit dup folders and walla spilt on the drives. The old server was getting old and not keeping up with new format videos. Got a new and very powerful server figured get the new whs to keep up to date!!! The server has 4 hds in it filled one before I transferred all my files!!! The other 3 are empty. the only option I see is manually transfer files to a different hd!!! What if that folder is larger than that hd? I want my old whs back!!!! Why cant whs see and use all 4 hd without me moving files back and forth?   
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:35 PM

Answers

• That's the way it is! You have to define the location of all your shared folders by drive letter. You can create, for example, "Videos" and "Videos 1" on different drives or create a RAID (although you can't back up more than 2TB). While WHS2011 is still supported, the latest is Server Essentials 2012 R2, albeit at a much higher cost than either of the previous Home versions - that product line is dead.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Voth Friday, January 31, 2014 10:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:53 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:07 AM

All replies

• That's the way it is! You have to define the location of all your shared folders by drive letter. You can create, for example, "Videos" and "Videos 1" on different drives or create a RAID (although you can't back up more than 2TB). While WHS2011 is still supported, the latest is Server Essentials 2012 R2, albeit at a much higher cost than either of the previous Home versions - that product line is dead.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Voth Friday, January 31, 2014 10:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:53 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Well it sucks!!!! I am going back to the 2003 whs It works very good
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:21 PM
  • It works great for me!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:30 PM
  • I am getting used to it I just really like the way the old whs managed hd space on its own !!
    Friday, January 31, 2014 4:10 PM
  • I am getting used to it I just really like the way the old whs managed hd space on its own !!

Didn't we all! You are just joining the debate a few years late.

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:55 PM
  • It is too bad the line is going :( I do think if people really knew what a server can do for them more would have them. I really like the restore, If I download something or even get a virus put in the disk and walla back to goodness!! I have all my music cds and movie dvds on the server with 3 tvs and 4 computers hooked up watch a movie any where with out touching a disk, Nice. Just for fun I put the same movie on all 7 devices playing 10 mins apart from each other with out a hitch at all I just like what it does   
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:28 AM
  • The route forward according to Microsoft is Windows Server 2012 R2 albeit significantly more expensive. Having said that WHS2011 support continues to 2016 while that for WHS1 has finished.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:38 AM
  • MrMike522, there are add-inns that allow you to create pools in WHS2011 similar (I think, I don't know WHS v1) to WHS v1. I use DrivePool. Creates one huge pool from multiple disks, allows for duplication (on different hard drives), stores all files in a hidden (but easily recovarable) NTFS folder. You might want to have a look at that.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi MrMike522,
    many of first WHS users decline to use the WHS2011, because MS removed the DriveExtender.
    It was the best feature of the WHS and many don't understand the way MS drives with their customers.

I am still hooking on my both WHS_v1 and I am still happy with them.
    It is not wrong to use the old WHS as long as it works.

The way how WHS2011 uses diskspace is not so smart as it could be. The hint Umfriend is a way, but I personally don't like the third party software "DrivePool" and even "DriveBender" is not so easy and smart as the old DriveExtender from the first WHS, but it will work if you give it a try. I tried both, but in the end I never replaced my both WHS_v1 with the WHS2011+"DriveBender".

Best regards
    ___
    DK

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:11 AM