How and how frequenty does Live mesh track file changes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I would like to ask this question in connection with my particular problem, the description of the problem:

I have one Live Mesh folder, sinchronizing with my 2 computers and also with live desktop. In the folder there is some small file (x.sqlite, around 500KB) which is basically an sqlite file. When I change this file with the program that writes/reads to it (this is proved by checking the file size in win explorer) Live Mesh does not seem to detect the change, so it does not synchronize new file contents to second computer, neither to Live Desktop. To be more precise: I have changed this file several times on both computers about an hour ago but live mesh still didn't detect any changes...

So the question arises, how frequently does Live Mesh checks for file changes locally? Is it possible to achive real-time or near real-time synchronisation with live mesh? Is this maybe some odd issue regarding my system and particular folder, or a more generalized issue?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:15 AM

Answers

• Deleting live mesh folder and creating new one and setting it to synchronize it with both computers as well as with live desktop solved the problem.

I think the problem was in the fact that when I first created the folder I set it to be synchronized only with both computers and not with the live desktop, I changed the folder to sync with live desktop only afterwards.

This file is in fact a sqlite database file, used by an extension for firefox (wired-marker, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6219). However I believe that all the firefox windows should be closed in order to detect the file change by live mesh.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• There is no facility to control how quickly Live Mesh detects the change and syncs it to the Mesh, though it should generally kick off within a few minutes of the file being saved and released. It cannot sync if the file is still in use and open.
    Has this file ever been synchronized? What is the extension of this file and what are its properties? If the file is hidden, it will not sync. And there are some file types excluded from being synchronized - you can see this in Help.
    Live Mesh tracks changes based on a hash of the file, so a size change should trigger it, as would the date/time stamp of the file itself.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Deleting live mesh folder and creating new one and setting it to synchronize it with both computers as well as with live desktop solved the problem.

I think the problem was in the fact that when I first created the folder I set it to be synchronized only with both computers and not with the live desktop, I changed the folder to sync with live desktop only afterwards.

This file is in fact a sqlite database file, used by an extension for firefox (wired-marker, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6219). However I believe that all the firefox windows should be closed in order to detect the file change by live mesh.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Now i have figured out that firefox have to be closed for the live mesh to detect the file change and also the firefox on the computer, which has older version of that file, has to be closed in order to update the file contents by live mesh.

However the original problem arised form the fact described in previous post: "I think the problem was in the fact that when I first created the folder I set it to be synchronized only with both computers and not with the live desktop, I changed the folder to sync with live desktop only afterwards."

Have a good day, Bostjan
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Hi, Bostjan. Glad you resolved the problem and thanks for the follow-up. Yes, Live Mesh can't sync files that are in use, so if the file is used by Firefox, it would need to be closed for the file to Sync.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:02 AM