Loosing External USB Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 750 GB USB Drive that is not added to the storage pool.
    It appears as external.

Almost every day the drive looses the Connection to the whs-server.
    Every Morning I have to switch off the drive and start it again. Than I need to reset the network sharings.

I use the drive for backup scripts, that copy the most inmportant data form the whs-pool to the USB Drive.
    Every week I change the USB Drive and take the used drive from work to home for external Storage.
    The scripts (Robocopy) have to copy 20-30 GB a day.
    One day the script runs Ok, but the connection is lost somewhere after the script execution.
    The other day there is no script executed and the connection was lost before the script could run.

What is causing this connection loss?
    This happens with and without PP1.

Christoph

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:42 AM

All replies

• 1. replace the USB cable

2. check that your BIOS is up-to-date

One question - how many USB controllers do you have and how many external hard drives do you have plugged into your home server?  As it is recommended to have 1 hard drive per USB controller, as some USB controllers get 'overwhelmed' when there are lots of external hard disks writing data all at the same time.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:44 PM
  • >1. replace the USB cable
    OK, done

>2. check that your BIOS is up-to-date
    How can  check this? The PC is from 12/2007. It´s a
    DELL Power Edge™ R200 - (PER2001)
    Dual Core Intel® Xeon® 3065, 2.33 GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB

>3.  - how many USB controllers do you have
    I think the PC has one for the Back USB ports and one for the Front USB ports. For testing I changed the port from the backside to the front.

>4. and how many external hard drives do you have plugged into your home server?
    Only one at the time.

Christoph

Code Snippet

Test

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Also, does either the USB controller, or the Drive have any form of power saving enabled? Also, how does the Drive get it's power, as maybe the controller shuts down after a transfer.

Colin

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  whsKitty wrote:
    >2. check that your BIOS is up-to-date
    How can  check this? The PC is from 12/2007. It´s a
    DELL Power Edge™ R200 - (PER2001)
    Dual Core Intel® Xeon® 3065, 2.33 GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB

Based on your system, you can go to the DELL support page that can help you figure this out as well as download/install any available updates.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&cat=sup&k=bios

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:46 PM
  • The new cable and the switching of the USB ports doesn´t help.
    The Backups from 21:00 (9.00PM) are executed well, but today in the morning the drive was lost again.

I´ve downloaded the new Bios form the Dell support page.
    Will install it in the afternoon and give it a new try.

Thanks
    Christoph

Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:22 AM
  • I´ve installed the new bios on the server and have no luck at all.
    The USB Drive is lost again. Sad

Tonight I will try another Drive (a 250 GB Maxtor) too.

Christoph

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Just FYI.  I have had trouble with USB drives since the beta version of WHS.  It seemed to be hit or miss that WHS found the drives.  I updated BIOS and have tried everything and got the best luck with putting each drive on a separate external 4 port hub and separate internal hubs.  This seems to make Windows find the HD's easier on boot when it canvasses the external hubs.

However, I've decided that the external USB drives are not dependable enough to add to the WHS storage pool.  I kept losing the data (separate folders with ripped DVD movies).  So I swapped the internal HD's to twi 750 GB drives and am just using the external USB drives as additional storage like network drives.  That way I don't lose the data and have to keep copying the DVD over again yet they are still available to the D-Link Media Lounge.  I am now using 4 USB drives in this way.

Maybe external firewire drives would be more dependable. If someone has any input on that it would be aprreciated.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:52 AM