screen shows garbage to other users when i share my desktop/window RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

SV is cool project, and so far i'm finding it quite helpful when i have to discuss somthing with my team members remotely.

SV working fine except, only my screen is shown as garbage to other users of a session. i also see same in the preview window of my own sharedview. but i can see, and control other member's desktop/window without any problem.

i have latest version of drivers for my nVidia 8600GT graphic card, and using WinXP.SP2 with jun2007 directx version. also, i'm on AMD X2 dual-core processor.

any suggestions, or this bug is still not fixed?

thanks,

// chall3ng3r //

Sunday, August 5, 2007 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hello chall3ng3r

What color depth are you running? Is it 32, 24 or 16 bit?

Would it be possible to do a few additional tests?

Check 1.

Could you please run dxdiag?

Start -> Run -> Type 'dxdiag' -> Press ENTER

Allow DXDIAg to check WHQL signatures.

After it finishes checking WHQL click "Save All information" and upload the dxdiag.txt to the forum.

Check 2.

In DirectX diagnostic tool could you please switch to the 'Display' tab and click 'Test DirectDraw'. Follow the test instructions.

Does your system passes all direct draw tests successfully?

Checks 1-2 helps us reproduce the problem in our lab.

Check 3.

On you desktop do a

Desktop right-click -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot.

You should be seeing Hardware acceleration slider. What is its current position?

Check 4.

Move the hardware acceleration slider to None and start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem?

Check 5.

Disable write combining. If it asks to reboot, do so. Start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem?

Check 6.

Move the hardware acceleration slider to Full. Enable write combining. If it asks to reboot, do so. Start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem? 

SharedView uses different algorithms for different hardware acceleration settings, checks 3-6 are designed to isolate the problem.

Thank you

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi chall3ng3r,

Can you please provide more information to help us investigate the issue you encountered?

Can you please describe the display in the preview window when you are experiencing the issue? Is it a black screen?

Were you trying to use Desktop Sharing or Application Sharing? If you were using Application Sharing, what program were you trying to share?

Does this always happened when you using SharedView? If you were using application sharing, does this happen when you try to share other applications?

Thanks,

Tony Lee

Monday, August 6, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Also, how many monitors do you have?  When you are sharing an application, are you sharing on your primary monitor or a different one?

When a shared app is occluded by an unshared app, viewers will see a gray rectangle.  Is this anything like what you are seeing?

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:39 AM
  • hi,

Is it a black screen?

No

Were you trying to use Desktop Sharing or Application Sharing? If you were using Application Sharing, what program were you trying to share?

i tried both desktop/app sharing with same results. apps i'm trying to share include internet explorer, mind manager, evernote, VS.Net 2005, etc.

Does this always happened when you using SharedView? If you were using application sharing, does this happen when you try to share other applications?

Yes, always with all applications

Also, how many monitors do you have?  When you are sharing an application, are you sharing on your primary monitor or a different one?

Only one monitor. but its a widescreen 1440x900 Philips 190CW LCD panel.

When a shared app is occluded by an unshared app, viewers will see a gray rectangle.  Is this anything like what you are seeing?

I know how this feature works. but thats not the case.

see the screenshots on the links below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chall3ng3r/1074107008/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chall3ng3r/1073243169/

let me know if you need to know anything else from my system configuration.

// chall3ng3r //

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Hi chall3ng3r,

Could you please help us investigate this issue by providing your SharedView logs.

To obtain the log file, choose Start > Run > type "%temp%" and then ENTER, then look for a file named sharedview-debugNN.txt.  then copy the last 40 lines and past them into a message as a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Tony Lee

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:28 PM
  • hi Tony,

here's the log:

Code Snippet

[MC] 20:34:49:984 GMT [THREAD 2160]  [I] AppShare::Scraper Area=(XYWH:0,0,1440,900) Region=(XYWH:533,305,374,261)
    [MC] 20:34:49:984 GMT [THREAD 1524]  [I] AppShare::Calling SetThreadDesktop for desktop name = default
    [MC] 20:34:49:984 GMT [THREAD 1524]  [I] AppShare::SetThreadDesktop successful
    [MC] 20:34:50:578 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] placeware::ApplicationSharingCoreC::notification ShareState = SHARE_PAUSE
    [MC] 20:34:50:578 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] RequestControlB: Sharing changed, 1, clearing control requests
    [MC] 20:34:50:578 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] placeware::ApplicationSharingCoreC::notification ShareState = SHARE_PLAY
    [MC] 20:34:50:578 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] Not a Word process: hr = 1
    [MC] 20:34:50:578 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] Not a Word instance or Word is not found
     [E] Failed connecting to an application looking for a Word instance
     [D] RequestControlB: Sharing changed, 2, clearing control requests
    [MC] 20:34:54:015 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] ExpressC::DoHeartbeat() m_lastHeardFromServer: 1187123669000
    [MC] 20:34:58:062 GMT [THREAD 2160]  [I] AppShare::Scraper Area=(XYWH:0,0,1440,900) Region=(XYWH:352,307,374,261)
    [MC] 20:34:58:140 GMT [THREAD 2160]  [I] AppShare::Scraper Area=(XYWH:0,0,1440,900) Region=(XYWH:351,307,374,261)
    [MC] 20:35:03:093 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS W, 58, 22570, 149919, 581.103, 0, 303473,
    [MC] 20:35:03:093 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS R, 19, 1374,
    [MC] 20:35:03:093 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS Ack stats R, total Acks = 1; Acks sent = 0; Coalesced acks sent = 0
    [MC] 20:35:03:750 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] AppSharingStream::rpcEnd stream 2
    [MC] 20:35:03:750 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] AppSharingStream dtor stream 2
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] placeware::ApplicationSharingCoreC::notification HostID = 0
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] placeware::ApplicationSharingCoreC::notification ShareState = SHARE_UNINIT
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] RequestControlB: Sharing changed, 0, clearing control requests
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] AppSharingStream::rpcStart stream 3
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS W, Packets sent, Bytes sent, Bytes in transit, Write time, Write pending wait time, Write time total,
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS R, Bytes received, Read time total,
    [MC] 20:35:06:046 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] cViewerStreamConnected: viewer inited with stream 3
    [MC] 20:35:09:406 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ExpressDialogWindow::DoModal - Start
    [MC] 20:35:09:421 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ExpressDialogWindow::OnInitDialog - End your session?, Do you want to end your session for everyone?
    [MC] 20:35:10:437 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ExpressDialogWindow::DoModal - End
    [MC] 20:35:10:750 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] ExpressMainWindow::createFeatures() - m_session is null, 4 placeholders instances to add
    [MC] 20:35:11:171 GMT [THREAD 2004]  [D] Closing the IN channel: selfLeft
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS W, 1, 19, 19, 0.914083, 0, 0,
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS R, 19, 812,
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068] QOS Ack stats R, total Acks = 1; Acks sent = 0; Coalesced acks sent = 0
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] AppSharingStream::rpcEnd stream 3
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] AppSharingStream dtor stream 3
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] Channel::close(selfLeft)
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] Dumping connectionReaderStats:  Number reads: 50 Bytes read: 6569 Messages created: 193
    [MC] 20:35:12:796 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ConnectionReader shutdown: ~Connection
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [E] SslSocket::close: socket is not connected
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2088]  [I] ConnectionWriter::writerLoop() exiting
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [N] Connection closed
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2004]  [D] ConnectionReader::readerLoop() exiting
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] Dumping connectionWriterStats:  Number writes: 70 Bytes written: 25133 Messages handled: 107
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ConnectionWrite shutdown: ~Connection
    [MC] 20:35:13:718 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [I] ExpressFoundationWindow got launcher eFinished Event
    [MC] 20:35:14:750 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] Got upload callback - 1 C:\DOCUME~1\CHALL3~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SharedView-44c-00.sqm 200
    [MC] 20:35:16:218 GMT [THREAD 2068]  [D] Got upload callback - 2147500036 C:\DOCUME~1\CHALL3~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SharedView-44c-00.sqm 200

best,

// chall3ng3r //

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Hello chall3ng3r

What color depth are you running? Is it 32, 24 or 16 bit?

Would it be possible to do a few additional tests?

Check 1.

Could you please run dxdiag?

Start -> Run -> Type 'dxdiag' -> Press ENTER

Allow DXDIAg to check WHQL signatures.

After it finishes checking WHQL click "Save All information" and upload the dxdiag.txt to the forum.

Check 2.

In DirectX diagnostic tool could you please switch to the 'Display' tab and click 'Test DirectDraw'. Follow the test instructions.

Does your system passes all direct draw tests successfully?

Checks 1-2 helps us reproduce the problem in our lab.

Check 3.

On you desktop do a

Desktop right-click -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot.

You should be seeing Hardware acceleration slider. What is its current position?

Check 4.

Move the hardware acceleration slider to None and start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem?

Check 5.

Disable write combining. If it asks to reboot, do so. Start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem?

Check 6.

Move the hardware acceleration slider to Full. Enable write combining. If it asks to reboot, do so. Start/restart SharedView. Start sharing and look at the preview. Do you still see the problem? 

SharedView uses different algorithms for different hardware acceleration settings, checks 3-6 are designed to isolate the problem.

Thank you

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hi Nikolai,

sorry for a bit delayed reply Smile

i'm using 32bit color depth

Check 1:
    http://www24.brinkster.com/chall3ng3r/misc/DxDiag.txt

(copy-paste link in new window. or hide the referrer Stick out tongue)

Check 2:

* No problems found.
    * DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.

Check 3:

Current positin is Full (acceleration)

Check 4:

Slider moved to None. Great! now i see correct preview of my shrared program window as well as entire desktop

Check 5:

Opps, i can't reboot my machine at this time. but i guess the problem is already pointed out. if you really want this, i will post my result of this test later

Check 6:

Slider moved to Full. i see same garbage in preview window again. the problem is there.

until you fix this, i will be using in None accelerated mode to share my apps.

thanks guys. hope you fix this soon Smile

Faisal Iqbal aka chall3ng3r

Lead Application Developer,

Orison Technologies

www.orison.biz

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Haveing a multitude of problems using Microsoft Sharedview, the problem is with Nvidia however. If you uninstall the Nvidia drivers you can share without any problem. When you install the drivers you get greyed screen i've also had the garbage screen to, i think that happens possibly with ATI can't remember.

Is Microsoft ever going to fix this??????

One more thing gamers use this as well will microsoft be doing somthing so people playing a video game or watching media wont have alot of lag doing so?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:23 AM
  •  

Hello DestroyerFoxx,

Can you please try the investigation steps Nikolai recommended above? 

The issue you are experiencing may be the same as the issue chall3ng3r reported. 

Please let us know your results so we can help investigate the problem.

Secondly, thanks for informing us your user experience with SharedView.  We are aware of the performance and it is in the list we will consider to improve in future releases.

Thanks,

Tony Lee

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Just posting this so it might help others;

I am running two monitors, had application on my secondary monitor, tried to share the application, and the customer got a gray screen.  Moved the app over to monitor one, and it worked properly.

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Hi IndyBluePrintsDotCom,

Thank you for help providing the information.

The dual monitor issue is also listed in the release notes - http://www.connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=4883&SiteID=94

Thanks for using SharedView,

Tony Lee

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Yea I've gone through all the same steps as Nikolai reported and i have similar findings theres no errors everything is fine.

If you uninstall your video card driver and conduct the sharing people can see your desktop fine and you can see theres.  This is a video card issue that Microsoft Nvidia and possibly ATI need to fix I will test the ATI soon as well.

I've experienced all 3 issues checkered screen garbage and nothing but grey.

Microsoft has another program Flight Simulator X that has the same stupid issue, Microsoft claims everything from Flight SImulator 2004 and 2002 is compatible with FSX but if you have light bloom enabled you get nothing but a white screen.

Shamefully it took me 2 months to figure that out; but i think the same thing apply with MS Share it's somthing very simple possibly something in the Nvidia control panel that needs to be off.

Also I've noticed big companies already have the answer to some of these issues and sit with that answer for months sometimes even years without releasing fixes.

I really hope this isn't the case.

Destroyer Foxx

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hi DestroyerFoxx,

If you are having same findings as chall3ng3r, then this is a known issue regarding Hardware acceleration. 

Instead of uninstalling your video card driver, will using SharedView in None Accelerated mode help resolving the issue you are experiencing?

Thanks,

Tony Lee

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:14 AM
  •  

Here is how to turn off hardware acceleration in XP:

http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx

And a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+turn+off+hardware+acceleration

A colleague did this and it solved his problem with Shared View.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:23 PM
  •  

Yes turning hardware acceleration does allow you to share your desktop, but it kills your video card. It's a temporary fix but at your own risk. My card starting to become unstable and I started getting blue screens I did alot of different things to fix the blue screens but i don't know which ended up fixing the problem.

It seems you can share with the 7800 and 7900 my 8600gts will not host and the 8500gt will not host. It's important to have a fix because most programs require hardware acceleration like FSX.

Best Diagnosis would be that higher end cards are not supported by ms share.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I had similar issues with Quadro FX 1600M on a Dell Precision M6300 laptop. I updated the driver to the very latest from Dell with no change in quality. I then followed the guidance to reduce hardware acceleration. I actually only had to back it down to the slider position related to "Disable all Direct Draw and Direct 3D acceleration..." in order to get a good picture. So this workaround is good, but hopefully there will be a permanent fix in the near future.

Dylan
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:49 PM
  • This worked for me. I run XP on MacBook Pro which has an NVidia video. I turned of the hardware accelrator feature. Expect a few confusing messages after to disable the NVidia. But it took care of the gray screens on the remote end.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Hi, I had the same issues, I'll test this more. But I started Sharedview, and I got the gray screen the first time a run it. I did the steps of turning hardware acceleration off while I was in ShareView. The preview screen showed perfectly after that. I turned it on again, and the preview windows show perfectly. So I wonder if it's not a problem of a bad setting from ShareView detecting hardware settings, because it's working flawlessly.

I'll do more test today, and I'll post the results.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Lower Hardware accelerator in real time while app is running .... instant fix . lower it till just at the point it starts to disable graphics as explained by other users in this thread.  Great fix .. oh and the combing filter does stay on.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:21 AM