none
Synctoy 2.0 Beta properly sees IPTC changes in files where 1.4 didn't RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was pleasantly suprised when version 2.0 Beta properly recognized that files jpg files that had their IPTC infomation modified by Google Picasa were indeed changed. I tried several seeting in the old 1.4 version to get it to properly "echo" the changed files to my backup fileserver. It's also made avaiable to other Picasa instalations on my home network. This included the very long "look at file contents" (or something close to that). Version 1.4 just wouldn't see the files as changed.

I loaded up version 2.0 Beta. Non of my previous sync settings changed. I did remove the "look at files contents setting". Ran the exact synchronization settings from the 1.4 version -and lo and behold it recognized that the 6,000 IPTC tagged jpg files had changed and merrily copied them to the fileserver. It did take a little longer with the first synchronization (assuming it was writing to the new database). The second syncronization seemed just as quick as version 1.4.\

Thanks to the SyncToy team for a nicely functioning Beta (a little unusual these days). It probably would have been more satisfying if this new feature was mentioned in the documentation. Either way I'm a happy camper.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:55 AM

All replies

• I am glad that we have been able to help. We have released the final version of SyncToy 2.0. Can you try that out please?

You can find it here -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Thanks
    Deepa

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:42 AM
  • David, since the first sync, have you modified Picasa captions using Picasa and confirmed that SyncToy actually detected a change in the file without the Check File Content option? Try changing a caption without changing its length. There's another thread that contradicts your experience (search on IPTC).

Tom

I can add that I find that Picasa modifies the file size only on every second character of the caption after the first. Without SyncToy's Check File Contents option, SyncToy only detects a change in the file if the caption grows or shrinks over one of these boundaries (0-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, ...). That is, a 1 character change in caption length that stays between adjacent boundaries will not change the file size and SyncToy does not detect a change. Likewise, changing the content of the caption but keeping it the same length (or +/-1 char, depending on the boundary) will not change the filesize and, again, SyncToy cannot detect any change without the Check File Content option. 

So you have to use the Check File Content option when synchronising folders that have JPEGs with Picasa captions that are being changed.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:28 PM