How to create more than one cascading relationship on an entity or similar behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Here I have a doubt.

I have one entity A which is related to B and C in N:1 relationship (referential type).

When a record on B or C is deleted, their link on A  remains as if it existed so is there a way to remove link reference ? , like cascading configuration for example ?. I see it is not possible to have more than one cascading relationship configuration :(:(

Any idea is welcome

Yojan
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• Leon,

While that does preserve the integrity of the data, it impacts the usability of the model in that, every time you want to make a record deletion, you must first remove associations by editing fields on the records.  Personally, I have used Plugin code to mimic cascading actions for these custom relationships, and usually leave the relationships as purely 'Referential'.
    Dave Berry
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• There is referential, restrict delete which you could apply. This would force you to break the link before it will let you delete them. I haven't tested whether it will allow you to do it but it may be worth a shot.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:45 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Leon,

While that does preserve the integrity of the data, it impacts the usability of the model in that, every time you want to make a record deletion, you must first remove associations by editing fields on the records.  Personally, I have used Plugin code to mimic cascading actions for these custom relationships, and usually leave the relationships as purely 'Referential'.
    Dave Berry
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:05 PM
  • I see ...

But user has the permission to create any number of custom entities with their corresponding relationships. So creating plug would not be clean.

Can't believe that just one cascading is permited :(
    Yojan
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:12 PM