Shares Failing W/Permissions Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just built up my WHS box from scratch and have spent the past 2 days restoring files from a mirror.

Now, before my very eyes, shares are starting to come up "Failing".   Nothing about the discs, just the shares.

Along with that, I'm getting file conflicts whose number seems tb growing over time.

I just tried to open one of those files (a .zip archive) and WinZip popped: "Could not open \\Sage\WHS_C_Drive_Backup\Temp\1RidSal.zip"

I have not touched this file since the system was rebuilt and the copy on the mirror seems tb a-ok.

In the case of other files, image files are coming up much larger than the "real" copies and, of course, unopenable.

Ditto some .Doc files - although Word can open them, just not as documents...

Anybody been here?

I know there are miles of posts on "Shares Failing"... but it also seems like there can be many, many, many causes.

I'm wondering if the permissions thing rings a bell with anybody.

Data-wise, this looks like my worst dream come true:  the better part of 5 tb of files restored.... but I don't know how many of them are good and how many are corrupted.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:06 AM

All replies

• I've just built up my WHS box from scratch and have spent the past 2 days restoring files from a mirror.

Now, before my very eyes, shares are starting to come up "Failing".   Nothing about the discs, just the shares.

Along with that, I'm getting file conflicts whose number seems tb growing over time.

I just tried to open one of those files (a .zip archive) and WinZip popped: "Could not open \\Sage\WHS_C_Drive_Backup\Temp\1RidSal.zip"

I have not touched this file since the system was rebuilt and the copy on the mirror seems tb a-ok.

In the case of other files, image files are coming up much larger than the "real" copies and, of course, unopenable.

Ditto some .Doc files - although Word can open them, just not as documents...

Anybody been here?

I know there are miles of posts on "Shares Failing"... but it also seems like there can be many, many, many causes.

I'm wondering if the permissions thing rings a bell with anybody.

Data-wise, this looks like my worst dream come true:  the better part of 5 tb of files restored.... but I don't know how many of them are good and how many are corrupted.
    Please look at the Console, open the Network Health notification, and post the exact message you see here (or, better yet, take some screenshots, upload them to an image website, then post the links to them here).
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:07 AM