Windows updates corrupt Home Server console RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS and it ran fine until it did the latest Microsoft updates (2-17-09).  After it installs the updates the console will not launch locally, from remote access or from a workstation on the network.  I have tried to uninstall the new updates but it does not cure the problem.  Attempted to repair the installation with the re-installation feature but that failed to correct the issue.  Then I formatted and performed a clean installation and all was well and I setup users, backups etc.  That worked for a day and then new updates were downloaded and installed last night and the problem returned today. 

I have tried to remove various updates but some cannot be uninstalled and the problem still exists.  It seems that the only solution will be to wipe and reload then shut off automatic updates.  Has anyone else had this issue in the last 2 days?  If so what is the real solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

• iclick said:

I have a WHS and it ran fine until it did the latest Microsoft updates (2-17-09).  After it installs the updates the console will not launch locally, from remote access or from a workstation on the network.  I have tried to uninstall the new updates but it does not cure the problem.  Attempted to repair the installation with the re-installation feature but that failed to correct the issue.  Then I formatted and performed a clean installation and all was well and I setup users, backups etc.  That worked for a day and then new updates were downloaded and installed last night and the problem returned today. 

I have tried to remove various updates but some cannot be uninstalled and the problem still exists.  It seems that the only solution will be to wipe and reload then shut off automatic updates.  Has anyone else had this issue in the last 2 days?  If so what is the real solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I updated my server last week and it worked fine.  How are you installing the updates?  Are you installing any add-ins or apps on the server?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Can you at least RDP into the server and view the logs? What is the error when you try to launch Console? Bad password, Network unavailable, Access denied?
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Installed them automatically the 1st time.  I could not launch the console after the reboot.  I searched the error message number on the web but it was apparently unknown as neither the Microsoft site or the web found any hits.  I have lost my notes so I can,t give you the 0x error message number that came up when it fails but the text just said to reinstall the O/S.  I un-installed some of the updates but some could not be removed and the problem still persisted.  I ended up doing a clean install and everything worked until I went to the update page and installed the updates found.  After the reboot the same problem came back.  I wiped and reloaded again and have turned off the updates and everything runs fine.  It is obviously one of the updates from this past week that is causing the issue I just don't know which one.  The largest download was a .net update but I removed it but it did not help.

Thanks for the response and hopefully the issue can be resolved as I don't like not being able to keep any of my systems current.

Ken
    Friday, February 20, 2009 1:48 PM
  • An unknowwn error has occured and the program will shut down.  Error 0x------------  (lost paper)  See an administrator or re-install the program.  I am not sure of the exact wording as I lost my note paper but the basic info is there.  After re-installing it still existed.  The only wasy to get it back was to wipe and reload which worked.  However I went out to the update site and re-installed the updates and after the restart the same problem came back. 

I was able to access the WHS from any WS but not able to launch the console.  Got the same message on the WS as I got on the server itself.

Wiped and reloaded again and turned off automatic updates and it is running flawlessly. 

System has no other software installed on it and no addins.  I just use it to backup the other 3 systems in my home. 

The computer is a P4 2.4Ghz.  on an ASUS motherboard with dual 1TB Hitachi HDD Mirrored in WHS and has 1 GB Ram.

It is a simple build since all it is is a glorified B\U. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
    Friday, February 20, 2009 2:05 PM
  • iclick said:

An unknowwn error has occured and the program will shut down.  Error 0x------------  (lost paper)  See an administrator or re-install the program.  I am not sure of the exact wording as I lost my note paper but the basic info is there.  After re-installing it still existed.  The only wasy to get it back was to wipe and reload which worked.  However I went out to the update site and re-installed the updates and after the restart the same problem came back. 

I was able to access the WHS from any WS but not able to launch the console.  Got the same message on the WS as I got on the server itself.

Wiped and reloaded again and turned off automatic updates and it is running flawlessly. 

System has no other software installed on it and no addins.  I just use it to backup the other 3 systems in my home. 

The computer is a P4 2.4Ghz.  on an ASUS motherboard with dual 1TB Hitachi HDD Mirrored in WHS and has 1 GB Ram.

It is a simple build since all it is is a glorified B\U. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Are you installing them automatically through the Console (or are you logging into the server desktop)?  What add-ins and apps do you have installed?
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:27 AM
  • The 1st time was done automatically with Automatic updates turned on.  The 2nd time I logged into the server and went to the update site and installed all the security updates that were found by the update service.  After the reboot when the installs finished the problem came back. 

I have wiped and reloaded a second time and turned off the automatic feature and have not done any updates and it is running perfectly.  I have no software or addins installed on this system.  It only serves to backup my 3 home systems.

I suspect that it related to the latest release of .net but am not certain.  The sp1 for it was the last update installed.  I un-installed it but then I still couldn't open the console.

Thanks again,

Ken
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:56 PM
  • iclick said:

The 1st time was done automatically with Automatic updates turned on.  The 2nd time I logged into the server and went to the update site and installed all the security updates that were found by the update service.  After the reboot when the installs finished the problem came back. 

I have wiped and reloaded a second time and turned off the automatic feature and have not done any updates and it is running perfectly.  I have no software or addins installed on this system.  It only serves to backup my 3 home systems.

I suspect that it related to the latest release of .net but am not certain.  The sp1 for it was the last update installed.

Yep, and mine works just fine.

I un-installed it but then I still couldn't open the console.

Thanks again,

Ken

I would strongly recommend you run the updates through the Console (there are updates that fix critical issues with both Folder Duplication and backups).  Just don't install anything else for a while.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:19 PM
  • OK I went into the console and installed the available updates from there.  When I rebooted I was prompted 7 times to send data about a failure in the OS to Microsoft which I did.  Now the B/U service doesn't start and prompts me to re-boot.  I have twice and the service still does not start.  Different problem than my original one as now at least the console launches but it tries to determine the available storage and then errors out. 

It has been fine for 2 days without the updates but now I am down again since I installed the updates as you recommended.  This is the 3rd time that I will have had to wipe and reload the OS.  This leaves me without any backups again until I get all the systems backed up again.  There is obviously an issue with one of the updates that keeps corrupting the OS when it restarts.  The problem is it did 29 updates and so I have no way of knowing which one is corrupting the OS.  It takes most of a day to rebuild the OS and then do backups of all the systems so this is getting old.  Even for an old retired IT guy like myself.

Thanks for any help you can be,

Ken
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Now I see that not only is the backup service not start but I see that the Drive extender Migrator service will not start either.   Just wanted to add this so you would know. 

Thanks again,

Ken
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:24 PM
  • iclick said:

OK I went into the console and installed the available updates from there.  When I rebooted I was prompted 7 times to send data about a failure in the OS to Microsoft which I did.  Now the B/U service doesn't start and prompts me to re-boot.  I have twice and the service still does not start.  Different problem than my original one as now at least the console launches but it tries to determine the available storage and then errors out. 

It has been fine for 2 days without the updates but now I am down again since I installed the updates as you recommended.  This is the 3rd time that I will have had to wipe and reload the OS.  This leaves me without any backups again until I get all the systems backed up again.  There is obviously an issue with one of the updates that keeps corrupting the OS when it restarts.  The problem is it did 29 updates and so I have no way of knowing which one is corrupting the OS.  It takes most of a day to rebuild the OS and then do backups of all the systems so this is getting old.  Even for an old retired IT guy like myself.

Thanks for any help you can be,

Ken

Are you doing a New Installation or a Server Reinstallation?  Are you using an OEM license (as compared to a pre-built server or the 120-day eval)?  Can you please give specifics about your hardware?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive (especially the OS partition)?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:45 PM
  • iclick said:

Now I see that not only is the backup service not start but I see that the Drive extender Migrator service will not start either.   Just wanted to add this so you would know. 

Thanks again,

Ken

Can you logon to the server destkop and try starting those services manually?  If you get an error message, what exactly does it say?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:51 PM
  • No when I tried to start the services they both try to start but then error out and indicate that I can try to restart Windows and try again.  I have just wiped and reloaded it again today.  I have doing a one by one update to try to find which updates may be causing it.  There are a total of 52 and I have 3 left.  I suspect that the issue has something to do with the .net 3.5 sp1 and I am trying to download it now.  I will reply again as soon as I find the culprit.  It is a pain in the $$$ but I want to find out what the issue is.

Thanks,

Ken
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:59 PM
  • It is an OEM I have tried to do a re-installation twice but it didn't solve the problem.  So I have resorted to wipe and reloads the last 3 times.  The computrer is a system that was running vista with no issues for a year b4 I wiped it clean and installed the home server.  The WHS had run fine for about a month until it did the last batch of updates using the automatic updates.  When I came to the computer it indicated that it had installed updates and that it needed a restart.  After that it choked.  Then if I wipe and reload it is fine but if I do all the current security updates the problem comes back.  The system is a P4 on an ASUS board with 1 GB Kingston RAM. 

Ken
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:07 PM