Connection Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Powerpack 3 beta and I lost ability to connect to my server with both the console and  using remote in. I connected a monitor and uninstalled beta powerpack. Now I'm getting a error message that port forwarding has failed. I can still access by server from outside so I'm not sure what is going on. I do use OpenDNS and have Sharepoint installed.

Any thoughts?  
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:15 PM

Answers

• Can you connect to your server's Remote Desktop using it's IP-Adress?
    If so, there is something wrong with your router or DNS setup.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:04 PM
  • That did it. updated my hosts files with the server name and IP address. Need to look into my settings on the router and see what is going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:08 AM

All replies

• You probably ended up with a different IP when you rebooted for the PP3 install.  From a client at a cmd prompt ping servername.  Is it what you expected?  Is that where your router is forwarding the ports. 

Have to poke around, I am not sure what the "symptoms" of opendns are, but know it has not worked well in the past with WHS.
    Grey
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Installed PP3 with the same results as first time, not able to connect to WHS through the console or with remote desktop. I disabled OpenDNS, same results. There is a bug in the powerpack beta affecting remote connections. I can browse the server using windows explorer so it is not a connection issue.

When I ping the server name I get a IP address related to my ISP,  could be their DNS servers? Any logs or other information I can provide please ask and I will post it.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Can you connect to your server's Remote Desktop using it's IP-Adress?
    If so, there is something wrong with your router or DNS setup.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:04 PM
  • That did it. updated my hosts files with the server name and IP address. Need to look into my settings on the router and see what is going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:08 AM

Thanks for your help.

When you say "updated" your host file, does that mean there was already an entry there for your server before?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:23 AM