Cannot start firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to start the onecare firewall. Keep getting a message cannot start. Have tried all the items suggested in help section without any difference in condition. Please help with this problem.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ditto here! It all of the sudden alerted me that the firewall was turned off and I clicked on the "Turn On" button next to the red firewall status alert in OneCare. It took a bit and then this dialog box came up:

"OneCare can't change your firewall settings at this
    time. Please try again later or restart the computer. If the problem
    persists, contact OneCare support."

Here is what I have done so far:
    • Well, I did try again later (a lot) and restarted my system (a lot).
    • I restarted the OneCare service with no response.
    • Then I found and ran (as administrator) the firewall cleanup tool and that still did not resolve my problem.
    • I uninstalled OneCare and then ran the cleanup tool and rebooted.

At this point the regular "windows firewall" seemed to be working just fine, i could turn it on and off, etc...

So, I installed OneCare again and logged it in and activated it and still the firewall will not start and I get the same message from above.

My system is a 32-bit Vista Ultimate with SP1.

Anything?

Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:05 PM
  • If the firewall will not start or stay running and you've tried the Firewall repair tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2, then please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 2:58 PM
  • This still doesn't work for me.  I run the repair tool and when I reboot the computer Line OneCare works fine.  But the next time I boot my computer up, the firewall is turned off again and I have to run the repair tool again.  I've also tried uninstalling the reinstalling the program and it still isn't working.

Monday, November 17, 2008 10:44 PM
  • ShawnCK, please see the post above yours and contact support for help in identifying the cause and resolving it.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:16 AM
  • You know support is not all that savy. I gave up on support about a year ago. After a ton of e-mail back and forth ie( change this, copy this log and send it, chage registry settings, on and on and on.) Still have the same problem as the above person. You woud think after a year of this (or more) these programmers would have a clue of how to repair these issues automaticlly without haveing to BUY another program to Fix Windows and Vista issues and or supporting software.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:26 PM
  • I followed the advice above to contact customer support. Was a little leary of allowing them to have access to my computer. Took about 1/2 hour to find where McAfee had made changes to the registry that would not allow Live One Care to start Firewall. I am a happy customer and will use them again if I ever have another problem.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:36 PM