none
Windows 10 place a shortcut on everyone's desktop

Question

• My wife is not that tech savvy, and wants a desktop shortcut to a folder visible on here desktop - that's just how we did it on windows 7 Ultimate - (I'm just a Home user)

I moved the folder to a NAS box, but now I cannot create a shortcut in "All Users" in Windows 10. Since that has removed/moved/been securted/omitted in Windows 10 , what can we do to create common shortcuts?

automation of testing the stuff dude

Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:45 AM

Answers

• They'll help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Thanks Dave. I came back to this issue the next day, and aside from being in the wrong forum, I'll post a description of resolution anyway.

I had to open CMD.exe as administrator (or use powershell), to be able to actually open the "All Users" hidden folder. It's not clear how to get explorer to run as an admin , some "tools" that you can download will give you a gui for browsing files as an "administrator" but I'd rather not advise downloading anything off the web for a once-off.

Use the commandline to copy the file as you would have done using explorer if you still had Windows XP/Windows 7
    copy <sourcefile> c:\Users\all Users\Desktop

That should be enough of a clue.

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:23 AM

All replies

• They'll help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Thanks Dave. I came back to this issue the next day, and aside from being in the wrong forum, I'll post a description of resolution anyway.

I had to open CMD.exe as administrator (or use powershell), to be able to actually open the "All Users" hidden folder. It's not clear how to get explorer to run as an admin , some "tools" that you can download will give you a gui for browsing files as an "administrator" but I'd rather not advise downloading anything off the web for a once-off.

Use the commandline to copy the file as you would have done using explorer if you still had Windows XP/Windows 7
    copy <sourcefile> c:\Users\all Users\Desktop

That should be enough of a clue.

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:23 AM