Help me please! RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to re install my valid xp because my new monitor wasn't working and I thought I could get the xp to reinstall the monitor drivers.

Anyway, when I got to the enter product key part it tells me my product key is invalid. I can't go back either. I would like to uninstall the reinstall but it won't let me.

Please tell me why this is happening and how to fix it

Gnome Alice

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:47 AM

Answers

• GnomeAlice,

When entering your Product Key during XP Setup, if you receive an error regarding the Product Key being invalid, the two reasons for this are:

1.  You are making a mistake when typing in the Product Key.  (Sometimes the eights and Bs look alike.)

2.  You are using a Product Key (PK) that is for a different "flavor" of XP.  Let's say you have a genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD for XP Home that came in a retail box.  There are two kinds of these, full product and upgrade.  The PK for the upgrade will not work when installing using the full CD, and vice versa---the PK for the full product will not work when installing with the upgrade CD.  If you have a CD for a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home, it won't accept either of the retail PKs, full or upgrade; the OEM CD will only accept PKs that are on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker that is affixed to the computer case.

The same goes for the other XPs as well, Pro, Media Center, and Tablet.

I hope that helps to explain what's going on.  The fix is to match the CD used to install with the right PK.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Gnome Alice,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:14 AM

All replies

• GnomeAlice,

When entering your Product Key during XP Setup, if you receive an error regarding the Product Key being invalid, the two reasons for this are:

1.  You are making a mistake when typing in the Product Key.  (Sometimes the eights and Bs look alike.)

2.  You are using a Product Key (PK) that is for a different "flavor" of XP.  Let's say you have a genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD for XP Home that came in a retail box.  There are two kinds of these, full product and upgrade.  The PK for the upgrade will not work when installing using the full CD, and vice versa---the PK for the full product will not work when installing with the upgrade CD.  If you have a CD for a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home, it won't accept either of the retail PKs, full or upgrade; the OEM CD will only accept PKs that are on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker that is affixed to the computer case.

The same goes for the other XPs as well, Pro, Media Center, and Tablet.

I hope that helps to explain what's going on.  The fix is to match the CD used to install with the right PK.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Gnome Alice,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:14 AM