WHS won't install RRS feed

• Question

• Installing WHS always ends up with a BSOD for driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error flagging nvstor.sys as the problem.

I realise it could be a hardware problem, but this is a brand new HP ML115 server with nothing installed on it!

Any ideas??

Thanks

Steve
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:45 PM hardware question (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Hardware)
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• The request for nvstor.sys indicates that you have an nVidia chipset. HP will probably be your best source of information as to how to install an operating system on the server you've bought. You're probably going to have to prepare and use an "F6 floppy" to get your storage controller recognized. The documentation you received with your server should tell you how to do this, or you can call HP tech support.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• sclg said:

Installing WHS always ends up with a BSOD for driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error flagging nvstor.sys as the problem.

I realise it could be a hardware problem, but this is a brand new HP ML115 server with nothing installed on it!

Any ideas??

Thanks

Steve

Are you providing the Nvidia storage drivers during setup? Are they the 2003 Server drivers?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Are you providing the Nvidia storage drivers during setup? Are they the 2003 Server drivers?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team

No. Setup never asks for any drivers before it dies.
    (Doesn't WHS install using it's own VGA drivers to start with?? I've never installed it before, but that's what XP or Vista would do!)

Thanks

Steve
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:37 PM
  • The request for nvstor.sys indicates that you have an nVidia chipset. HP will probably be your best source of information as to how to install an operating system on the server you've bought. You're probably going to have to prepare and use an "F6 floppy" to get your storage controller recognized. The documentation you received with your server should tell you how to do this, or you can call HP tech support.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Thanks Ken - I'll investigate a little further.
    Steve
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Steve,

did you have any success? I've just received a ML115 G5 today and am experiencing the exact same problems. 

HP provide an easy set-up CD (Bootable Setup) which should allow you to preload all drivers before installing an OS such as Server 2003 / 2008 or SBS. Unfortunately there is no option for WHS and the other options include a media check to ensure that if you select Server 2003 you have a valid Server 2003 installation CD - it rejects the WHS CD.

I have tried using the drivers on the CD, but it seems that the Set-up CD must uncompress most of them whilst running, there are only a few drivers visible, and those that are don't seem to have any positive effect.

I have searched HP website, and can't seem to find any help.

Mike
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Mike, Steve, 

Has this exact problem with a brand new ml115 G5 I received today. 

Swapped out the 250GB HD that shipped with the server for a 1TB drive and installed without a problem.
    Will install the 250GB HD as asecondary drive now the 1TB is working as the primary.

Hope this helps.

Jared
    Friday, January 9, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Jared,

Thank you so much for your post on this forum. I had just suffered an identical installation BSOD error several times upon successive attempts on an identical new server computer. I found your post, immediately took out the pre-installed 250Mb hard drive and inserted a new 500Mb instead. WHS then installed with no problem. Like you I shall now proceed to install the 250Mb disk as an additional drive.

Thanks again!

Marcus
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:49 AM
  • I haven't had time yet to pursue the problem further, but I'll certainly try a bigger disk. Wonder why it makes a difference - You'd think 250Gb was enough!!
    Steve
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:59 PM