Incessant re-installation of XP RRS feed

• Question

• I find myself in need of a re-installation of Windows XP about every 4 months due to the fact that I Test ALOT of Software,much of which is still in the Alpha phase of developement.so after about 4 months my system bogs down and runs very poorly,even after daily maintenence of scan disk,defrag,registry clean up etc.

I have no issues with having to re-install.my problems come after a fresh-install when I go to activate Windows again.the Internet option hasn't worked for me for probably 2 years now so I am forced to use the call in method which is very daunting.and alot of the times I have to go through it a couple times due to misunderstandings because of the foreign accent of phone representative.

My question is this.Is there any way that I can de-activate my key before I Format/fdisk so that when I finish re-installing ,my key will be available to activate via the internet?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:16 PM

Answers

• Emprcyrul,

Unfortuantely I do not believe this can be done. The only other method may be creating an image of your machine then go from there. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, August 3, 2007 10:09 PM

All replies

• Emprcyrul,

Unfortuantely I do not believe this can be done. The only other method may be creating an image of your machine then go from there. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, August 3, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with genuine XP Pro, paid £259.99 for genuine software on 4th July 2004 worked fine for years now told that it will not validate.I know it is genuine! purchased from PC World. I run a lot of beta versions of software, when the whole lot gets a mess, even after removing progs, editing registry etc I like to format & re install. Sometimes within the same weekend! Surely this is why I purchased a full version. I have written to microsoft about this problem and received a letter from a microsoft Customer Service Professional, asking me to phone the WGA team. !st call gave all the info, was then asked to call back in a few minutes as the system was updating. Called back, now given an SR no & told to ring again on Monday!! Something is definately wrong with Microsofts system! Luckily I am using my partly complete system that will not run my San's nor webcam known as Vista Ultimate. What happens when I try to reinstall this? Will wait till Monday & see if they can sort this mess out. Very Annoying.

I also have OEM XP home, OEM XP Media Centre 2005, OEM Vista home premium, and yet it is the full version of XP Pro that has been affected.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 11:48 AM
  •  

Martin,

Recently I have seen several posts from people who have become victims. First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:41 PM