WHS as Web Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    I would like to know if there is some major issues why I shouldn't use WHS as a web server.

I'm a web developer and I need to add to my network a Windows Machine (I develop on Mac). That machine has to be a development/testing internal web server.
    My first pick was Windows Server 2003 but since Home Server is based on 2003 and it comes cheaper I'm thinking to go with WHS. But before buying it I would like to be sure that I will not face major issues.

Thanks and have a nice day 
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:28 AM

Answers

• It is generally against the EULA for using WHS in this manner. But as you are the system builder, you are your own support. Use at your risk, don't expect help from Microsoft :)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi guys,
    I would like to know if there is some major issues why I shouldn't use WHS as a web server.

I'm a web developer and I need to add to my network a Windows Machine (I develop on Mac). That machine has to be a development/testing internal web server.
    My first pick was Windows Server 2003 but since Home Server is based on 2003 and it comes cheaper I'm thinking to go with WHS. But before buying it I would like to be sure that I will not face major issues.

In addition to what Evaders99 said, WHS is already set up as a "web server" OOTB (for the Remote Access website) so it wouldn't be a clean cut web server setup the way it would be with 2003/2008 (which would be disabled by default).
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:48 AM

All replies

• It is generally against the EULA for using WHS in this manner. But as you are the system builder, you are your own support. Use at your risk, don't expect help from Microsoft :)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi guys,

In addition to what Evaders99 said, WHS is already set up as a "web server" OOTB (for the Remote Access website) so it wouldn't be a clean cut web server setup the way it would be with 2003/2008 (which would be disabled by default).
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Thanks for your replies.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:46 AM
  • If you decide to choose WHS also have a look at whiist
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:56 AM