Access to web pages RRS feed

• Question

•  My wife and I are really into our family genealogy.  We want to put the information in web pages on our WHS.

Between the two of us there are over 200 family members.  We would like to be able to give each their own login name and password.

Can this be done and would there be a limit to how many could be connected at the same time?????
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    besides that it is not simple to create a own website on WHS (especially if you are not in web developement and since WHS does only support it's own remote interface by default), the number of different user accounts you can with WHS in it's current version is limited to 10.
    The number of concurrent users is more or less only limited by your upload bandwith into the Internet.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    besides that it is not simple to create a own website on WHS (especially if you are not in web developement and since WHS does only support it's own remote interface by default), the number of different user accounts you can with WHS in it's current version is limited to 10.
    The number of concurrent users is more or less only limited by your upload bandwith into the Internet.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:22 AM
  • If they are all going to be looking at the same things then they can all use the same username/password.  I have one "family" account that I give out to friends and family so they can have access to pictures and other things.  
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

It has been a while since I have created a web site but I believe I can handle it.  As for doing it on a WHS, many before me have done it and many artiles have documented it.   I don't see this as a problem.

I would think there would be a way to implement multiple logins.  Worst case I would think would be to have a single generic login to satisfy WHS user accounts (guest) and once into the web site implement a second login which would require each individual to have their own login and password.

As for concurrent users, I would could see there being an initial rush until the new wore off.  And I certainly don't want to hog bandwidth.

Again, thank you.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

A single login would be ok if I had only one tree and did not need to execise any control over the users.

However, I am working on four (4) separate trees which everyone would not have a need to see.  Second, like Ancestry.com I would like to be able to designate editors and contributors.  Those that can upload and download information, etc.  I have written databases professionally and used login and password to limit what forms various individuals could see, what data they could edit, etc.  It worked quite well.

And then there is always going to be someone you want to block because they can't follow directions and endanger the whole site.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:29 PM