Steinberg Soundcard Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an interface from Steinberg and I have installed the Steinberg ASIO soundcard that came with the interface, but when I record, my vocal sound is so weak I can barely hear it. I have selected the Steinberg soundcard in Songsmith's for recording under Microphone Configuration, but my vocal is so low that it is almost non-existent. I have tried selecting the Steinberg soundcard for playback under Microphone Configuration, but the problem still exists. How can I fix this problem so that I can record my voice with a condenser microphone (non-USB) that is connected to the interface by a XLR cable? 

Ermias

Monday, December 1, 2014 9:59 PM

Answers

• It's OK that the "gain" knob is grayed out; not all sound devices expose a software gain control.

Can you try adjusting the recording volume using the Windows "sound" panel, following these instructions (written for Windows 7, but everything is the same for Windows 8):

http://blogs.creighton.edu/bluecast/tips-and-tricks/set-the-default-microphone-and-adjust-the-input-volume-in-windows-7/

I suspect that in your DAW software (including FL Studio), the software is talking to the device over ASIO, which Songsmith doesn't support.  But it's particularly relevant if the windows "Sound Recorder" app is working differently than Songsmith; it should be talking to the device the same way Songsmith does... you get big, clear waveforms in Sound Recorder?  You don't have to crank the volume to hear what you record?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but it's happened before (even to me, I admit :)), so I always ask... is there any chance that you have a second microphone plugged in to your interface, and that's what's actually recording?

-Dan

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:20 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting good vocal sound.

Did your Steinberg interface come with any other software that you can try recording with?  If so, do you get decent volume there?  Can you also try recording with the Windows "Sound Recorder" application?  Do you get decent volume there?

In the "Microphone configuration" dialog in Songsmith, are you able to adjust the "microphone gain" slider?  If so, have you tried sliding it toward the right?

Is there a "gain" knob (a physical knob, not a software knob) on the Steinberg interface for the channel into which you've plugged your microphone?

Hopefully one of these approaches will provide some information that will help better identify the problem.

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Monday, December 8, 2014 11:14 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Dan, sorry for the delay. I get normal volume with the DAW that came with the interface and also with FL Studio. I can also record with Sound Recorder perfectly. But when I try to record with Songsmith, the "Microphone Gain" and "Microphone Level" sliders are actually grayed out and I can't slide them. I can playback perfectly when Steinberg is chosen for "Playback" and I can hear all the styles and the count-in and the accompanying track/instruments, but I could barely hear my vocals and I see only very small wave forms (almost straight line) visual representations of my vocals on the chord bars when Steinberg is chosen for "Recording". The vocals improve only slightly (but still barely audible) when I increase the microphone gain using the gain knob on the interface. I have tried disabling Sigma Tel Audio (the default soundcard that came with the computer) and and choosing Steinberg (the only other soundcard) but the problem still exists and the "Microphone Gain" and "Microphone Level" sliders are still grayed out. I am attaching an image of the "Microphone Configuration" window. 

Ermias

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:28 AM
  • It's OK that the "gain" knob is grayed out; not all sound devices expose a software gain control.

Can you try adjusting the recording volume using the Windows "sound" panel, following these instructions (written for Windows 7, but everything is the same for Windows 8):

http://blogs.creighton.edu/bluecast/tips-and-tricks/set-the-default-microphone-and-adjust-the-input-volume-in-windows-7/

I suspect that in your DAW software (including FL Studio), the software is talking to the device over ASIO, which Songsmith doesn't support.  But it's particularly relevant if the windows "Sound Recorder" app is working differently than Songsmith; it should be talking to the device the same way Songsmith does... you get big, clear waveforms in Sound Recorder?  You don't have to crank the volume to hear what you record?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but it's happened before (even to me, I admit :)), so I always ask... is there any chance that you have a second microphone plugged in to your interface, and that's what's actually recording?

-Dan

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:20 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Dan, I can hear the vocal loud and the waves are big in the chord bar when I crank the crank up the gain knob almost all the way on the interface even though the vocal sounds a little bit distorted and the light that indicates clipping is also lit most of the time when I sing. With the other DAW's, the vocal is loud and clear when the gain knob of the interface is only about 30% of its capacity. Distorted vocal frequencies may cause Songsmith to generate wrong chords and so, I will continue to use the internal microphone. Songsmith generates good sounding chords for my vocals when I record with the internal mic. Thank you for your help and clarification. 

Ermias

Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:15 AM