Setup Guide for DD-WRTv24-sp2 & Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS says that my router does not support UPnP. I have looked into the admin pages and UPnP enable is ticked. So I may be forced to manually set the router to allow access. Can anybody tell me how?

I will use all default ports and settings.
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:49 AM

All replies

• A router has to support specific functions; many claim UPnP compatibility but don't have all the capabilities Windows Home Server actually needs.

You will want to manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to your server. Your router manual should tell you how to forward ports. Or you can visit a site like portforward.com. While they may not have the specific ports for Windows Home Server, they'll have lots of good examples for your particular hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Thank You Ken, I truly appreciate all the help you have provided. I am almost back to WHS happiness. Been one he.. of a learning episode. When 2 out of 4 drives go bad it really fouls things up.

I will Backup my WHS Backups. Really.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:56 AM
  • ... I will Backup my WHS Backups. Really.

Actually, I rather strongly disagree with that strategy. :) The backup database can be recreated from the source computers, and it's known fragility when disk issues occur makes it a poor choice for archiving a specific backup for a long period.

What you should do is:

• Store your important data on your server. Keep transient stuff, game saves, work in progress, etc. on your desktops, but when you finish with something copy it to your server.
    • Turn on duplication for every share. It's very likely that you have irreplaceable data in all of them.
    • Back your shares up regularly to external storage and take that off site. I rotate two drives off-site weekly (well 4 with Vail, but I'm obsessive that way) on Fridays, taking one to the office Friday morning and bringing the other home that evening.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:19 AM