Optimal Design to Calculate Key Performance Indicators RRS feed

• Question

• Hey community,

I'm new to our company's CRM Dynamics team und I want to redesign the way we calculate our KPI's. Today, we calculate actual / target values of certain KPI's (custom entity) via complex and distributed workflows, in which help fields are increased by one, others (last year's actual value) are written into help fields and so on. Often, this is not working as expected. In the end, the sales team updates fields manually.

Since I am so far the only one with some SQL experience, my intention is to write reports in VS that can be executed on demand (usually at the end of the month) and then I want to import these calculated results into the KPI entity. My senior wants them to be available within the CRM to refer to them in Word templates. We also do not use the Goal Metrics entity to set up the target values yet which I think is the correct way to specify target values.

So my question is: What is the optimal design to calculate and store KPI's calculated from several other entities in Dynamics 2013?

Friday, February 19, 2016 10:24 AM

All replies

• You would most likely have to do some significant customization to gather data from various CRM records and write that data to KPI entity records or some other custom entity record. 

Another option is to setup a separate SQL table, extract the data you need using something like KingswaySoft SSIS toolset, do the calculations in SQL and using the integration toolset, update the records in CRM with the calculated data.

You can not do this solely by writing a report.  You have to extract the data, run the calculations and import the results or using a combination of plug-ins / custom development, derive the calculated results and update the desired records.

Use the "Vote" option if the reply was helpful and "Answer" option if it answered your question. Thank you for helping others find helpful and answered posts!

Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:47 PM