Trying to restore old back up and it won't take my Windows Live ID. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a money back up file from 2010.  The money version I was using at the time I believe was either 2005 or 2008.  Really can't remember.  I thought I was out of luck with money since they did away with it.   But I heard about the sunset and or plus versions and installed the plus (I think) the other day.  I am now trying to restore my back up from 2010 to get some old home improvement information for my taxes.  However, when I go to restore it prompts me for my Windows Live ID and password.  I could not remember my password from back in 2010 so I rest it multiple times but still won't take it.  Why won't it take it?  Is it just because it is an older version?   I have multiple emails associated with my Widows Live ID for personal use and work use.  But I have tried both of these and neither work.  Any suggestions?  Other ways to get my information out of this backup?  Thanks in Advance!
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:29 PM

All replies

• Your attempt to change your LiveID did not help.  In any case, you will need  to use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Then write
    down all of the email addresses you might have used. Think of permutations.
    Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try.
    Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials.
    Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people
    will use similar passwords for different applications. The password part is case-sensitive.

Disconnect from the internet before proceding to restore or open your file. Turn off your modem, pull the cable, or do whatever it takes. Then, when you proceed and see where you are asked to enter your credentials, you must tick the "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services. "    Try all of the permutations you can think of.  Write down what worked.  We did have one poster succeed in remembering the credentials.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Thanks.  I tried disconnecting to the computer and sign in directly, but every password I tried told me that it could not be verified and that I needed to connect to the internet.  I hooked to the internet and tried one more time without thinking my fingers started typing a password and it took.  I guess the brain doesn't forget old habits.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Remove the LiveID now, and replace it with a conventional password.
    File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:30 AM