Meaning of all 4 drive lights blinking on HP EX470? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 active drives and suddenly all 4 drives lights started blinking purple about once a second but I could not find anything "wrong".  The Health indicator light was blue (all the lights except the drive lights were solid blue).  The WHS Connector icon in the tray remained green.  The server seemed to be operating normally as well, just all the drive lights were blinking purple (same color as if you just installed a new drive).

I logged in and saw no warning in the Health Status or with any of the drives or drive shares.  Everything looked and operated normally.  The Event log looked normal too. 

I rebooted the box and everything came back up blue as expected.  Anyone know what happened or what 4 drive lights blinking at the same time means? 

Jesse

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• If they were all pulsing slowly, about once a second, you probably triggered the HP Easter Egg.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Yes, they were pulsing about once per second but I wasn't even logged into the console when the flashing started.  Also, when I did log into the console to try to find any clues as to the "error" when I went to the MediaSmart Server tab I did not see the "Easter Egg" visual that you get in place of the normal server display with the lights on it if you are in Easter Egg Mode.

So I don't think it was the Easter Egg, or if it was, it was not triggered in the usual way.  Anyway, I'm glad to hear it is probably not a known error code that I couldn't seem to find listed anywhere.  So far it has not happened again...

Jesse

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Jesse11-
    Mine is doing the same thing. I am wondering if it means we got an update of somesort. Anyone else seeing this?  I enabled and disabled the Easter Egg and it is still "pulsating" the drive lights.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:17 PM
  • This is happening to my EX475 as well.  It wasn't the Easter Egg.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:24 PM
  • This is happening to my EX475 as well.  It wasn't the Easter Egg.

Have you tried calling HP support and ask them?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:46 PM