Migration to new system RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using OEM WHS w/ PP1 and I'd like to upgrade my system. Can I just move my SATA drives into a new computer (i.e. replace the motherboard, processor, etc.)? Would I run into licensing issues?
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:56 AM

Answers

• If you move your drives to a new motherbaord, you may have driver issues, possibly severe enough to keep the computer from even booting. The recommended course of action would be to move your drives and then do a server reinstallation.

As for licensing, you'll probably have to reactivate Windows Home Server using Microsoft's phone activation system. That hasn't been a problem for others who've had to do it, though.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:07 AM

All replies

• If you move your drives to a new motherbaord, you may have driver issues, possibly severe enough to keep the computer from even booting. The recommended course of action would be to move your drives and then do a server reinstallation.

As for licensing, you'll probably have to reactivate Windows Home Server using Microsoft's phone activation system. That hasn't been a problem for others who've had to do it, though.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:07 AM
  • I did swap the motherboard (and the SATA controller) two times and the systems did boot more or less fine (and could be reactivated via Internet).

If you keep the drives connected in the proper sequence on the controller plugs (i.e. drive on port 1 will also be connected with port 1 on the new machine) and the mode of the SATA controller in Bios is identical (either IDE compatible or AHCI), there should be no disk based problem for booting.

If you change the platform (i.e. AMD to Intel) you may also run into boot problems and have to perform a server reinstall.

At least backup all important data, which you may have stored on the server, since the operation is not without risk.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:04 AM