none
complaint about moderator action RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to complain about the actions of a moderator.

The moderator Chao Kuo arbitrarily moved my post from Visual Basic General to Off Topic Posts on March 17.

The post concerned using RDLC reports in visual basic - he wanted it moved to Windows Forms because I mentioned Windows Forms in the title, but that was incidental to the topic.  He moved the post for no apparent reason to the off-topic posts instead.

I assume he either did not read or did not understand the post.

Moderators should exercise more restraint.

Thank you

Bill

bill
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• I suggest Microsoft adjust the KPIs for the moderators so that they work toward helping developers solve problems, and avoid/prevent a blind chase for statistics on closed cases.

How about a satisfaction index for each case.  If the original poster did not submit the satisfaction index, then it's not the moderator's fault and such open cases should not count negatively toward any moderator.

Friday, March 26, 2010 4:08 AM
  • Mr. Kong -

I am not knowledgeable about the mechanics of the forums, and what drives moderators. 

I didn't consider what would motivate a moderator to offload my post, but your remark makes sense.

Thanks

Bill

bill
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Belgie:

In general Moderators have good reasons for moving posts to Off-Topic. Non-Microsoft moderators are not affected by KPIs or indeed any other internal Microsoft method of assessing their own Moderators (I presume they exist, but don't know) so that is no reason for them to move a post that doesn't - in their opinion - need moving.

In this case from what you have written I would imagine that he did intend to move it to Windows Forums but then something happened when he started to fill in the reason.

I have more than once had to apologise to the Windows 7 people because their forums were bottom of the selection list for a Move and although I had initially selected (in my case) a SharePoint forum to move to, something happened and the selection had changed to a Windows 7 forum before the post was sent (*). Nowadays I watch out for this especially when I am using a portable with an over-entuisiastic mouse pad.

Give a Moderator in such a case the benefit of the doubt.

(*) I have since had to retrieve Moves that otherwise would have ended up in a SQL Server forum if I'd pressed Enter. (Note too that once moved it's too late as the chances are that Moderators in one set of forums aren't Moderators in another set and therefore can't retireve the post and move it on to the correct location.)
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:25 PM