WHS 2011 Media Library error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can successfully get to my home server from work but when I go to click on brose pictures in the media library I'll get the hour glass followed by an error message that states, "Media library error - an error has occurred on the server.  Please try again later."  What is odd is that both music and videos within the media library work fine just the pictures will not work.  For the record, I do have about 20,000 plus photos all organized in folders so I'm not sure if it's something to do with that "amount" of pictures.  I've also noticed that if I reboot my home server I then will be able to access the photos remotely only for one time that I click on Browse Pictures.  For example, If I log out of my remote session and log back in and try to click on Browse Pictures I'll get the hour glass and media library error.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is this one of those wait for a Service Pack release and hope it fixes my issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:00 PM

All replies

• Can't remember specificaly but I may have seen a bug report on connect concerning a large photo library size.

You might want to visit the connect site and check. If not there then bug it.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:29 AM
  • I have over 40,000 photos on my WHS 2011 server, and I get these sorts of issues. See:

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/the-media-library-in-windows-home-server-2011revisited/

Problems with the Media Library that get reported on Microsoft Connect seem to get closed by Microsoft because they can't reproduce them. Perhaps they're only trying with small numbers of media items...

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.  How do I go about reporting this as a bug?

Thanks

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Open an account on Microsoft Connect (connect.microsoft.com) and join the WHS feedback.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Any update on this?

I posted on here a couple of months ago, and other people were having the issue, but no indications of solutions.

I managed to get into my media library once today.  Great, I thought.  An update has fixed it.

No dice.  It was back again after a few minutes.

I'll head over to connect to see whether there's anything there (not been there before).  Also still having troubles connecting to my dashboard remotely (rejected cookies), so fingers crossed...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Are there any active bugs on connect for this issue? I searched and couldn't find one.
    Mike
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:39 PM
  • No, all the bug reports have been closed by Microsoft because they are unable to reproduce the issue, apparently.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Nice.  I've got a feeling there's a lot of people here that could temporarily allow remote access to prove the issue's existence.  Heck; I've never seen my postman, therefore he doesn't exist.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Like many people here, I also have this issue.  There's no reason for it that I can tell.  Sometimes I get an error, sometimes I don't.  Sometimes it's with pictures, sometimes with video, sometimes with music, sometimes with all three.

I'd taken to rebooting my WHS server every morning before I went to work, just so that I could successfully use the media streaming for music.  This appeared to be successful... but today I was asked for a photo of myself to attach to an internal newsletter, so my first action was to look in my photo library on my server....

Media Library Error

An error has occurred on the server. Please try again later. If the error continues, view Support Information for help.

NOT a very helpful message, especially when the link shown redirects here: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver2011/support-2.aspx

Which effectively says 'Sorry, no help here.  Ask around in these places.'

Monday, September 5, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Just for a hoot, I submitted another issue on Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/687296/media-library-errors-via-remote-web-access

Please add feedback and flag the issue. Let's see what they do this time...

Mike
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:56 PM
  • I've voted it up, marked as reproducable and added it to a watch list.

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:16 PM
  • I up voted and marked as reproducible.  I was able to reproduce in the past, but have now abandoned WHS2011 and gone back to v1.  I may do some more testing with 2011 once Drive Bender or another pooling add-in is released and/or a server backup (easy to set up, run, and restore) is found for shares server that total over 2 TB's.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Just for a hoot, I submitted another issue on Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/687296/media-library-errors-via-remote-web-access

Please add feedback and flag the issue. Let's see what they do this time...

Mike

BullDawg
    Monday, September 5, 2011 10:59 PM
  • +1
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:02 AM
  • I just uploaded the logs they requested. Let's see if they do anything with them... Keep voting the issue up and marking it as reproducible.

Mike
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Has this been fixed, does anybody know?  I've gone on today and it hasn't crashed on me yet.  It's a little slow, but that could be my connection.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Has this been fixed? 
    Not here it hasn't. Hark! - I hear the sound of hollow laughter...
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Oh, I'm sorry Geoff.  It worked for me all afternoon at work.  Listened to a few CDs and browsed a bit.  Had the error once on the home page, but when I went to music it was back to normal.  I'll check later to see whether it's up and running.  I'm now getting a more accurate figure of songs (it was stuck at 1000).

The only thing that I've done recently (apart from hard booting it after some massive error that left it offline) was to stop the Windows Media Player Shared Service (can't remember it's proper name right now), and then reboot the machine.

I'd assumed that the reason I had the server down was due to windows updates that tripped it over.  Unless they've updated something valuable?

Again, sorry.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:09 PM

• Geoff,

I have a new install of WHS 2011 and get the error every time. I haven't been able to get into the libary remotely yet at all. I had V1 on a Hyper-V server and elected to "upgrade" to 2011 when I separated it out for complexity reasons. I don't use any add-ins and I can't get to any media at all. I do have over 87,000 photos, so I was wondering about that issue. I have the issue remotely from inside the network as well as outside, so the firewall certainly isn't the issue. I will say that I am very dissappointed in MS and the big time failure to keep WHS going. It seems to be coming to a slow death since the add-ins are next to nothing and there isn't as much information or excitement about it in its new version. I'll keep checking back here for updates to see if there are any discoveries.

Have fun

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:58 AM

• Geoff,

I have a new install of WHS 2011 and get the error every time. I haven't been able to get into the libary remotely yet at all. I had V1 on a Hyper-V server and elected to "upgrade" to 2011 when I separated it out for complexity reasons. I don't use any add-ins and I can't get to any media at all. I do have over 87,000 photos, so I was wondering about that issue. I have the issue remotely from inside the network as well as outside, so the firewall certainly isn't the issue. I will say that I am very dissappointed in MS and the big time failure to keep WHS going. It seems to be coming to a slow death since the add-ins are next to nothing and there isn't as much information or excitement about it in its new version. I'll keep checking back here for updates to see if there are any discoveries.

Have fun

I'm also running WHS2011 in Hyper-V and I'm having significant problems accessing media remotely.

This is very bad, especially because it is a Microsoft supported configuration.

I have done some investigation and it appears there are a bunch of networking bugs in Hyper-V that cause the networking to literally 'lock up' when lots of bandwidth is being used (Like media streaming).

Also, I think these bugs might account for the fact that the DLNA support very tempermental! I have so far got my media streaming to work a few times, but not consistently.

I think I may try to find a specific thread on the WHS2011-in-Hyper-V networking issues or may just start my own here.

• Edited by plonka2000 Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:27 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Has anyone considered any alternatives to WHS 2011 that offer the same or similar features? Streaming and sharing media with all of my computers was my main goal and the performance is so bad (when functional) that I'm starting to consider ditching the server for something else.

Go back to the previous release of Windows Home Server? Other alternatives?

Thanks

Mike
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Has anyone considered any alternatives to WHS 2011 that offer the same or similar features? Streaming and sharing media with all of my computers was my main goal and the performance is so bad (when functional) that I'm starting to consider ditching the server for something else.

Go back to the previous release of Windows Home Server? Other alternatives?

Thanks

Mike

There are plenty of viable alternatives to WHS/WHS2011 but I think most people like Microsoft's solution because it was proven to be the most easy to use (In WHSv1 at least).

In terms of alternatives to DLNA, I've been thinking of ditching the Media Sharing altogether and install an alternative free DLNA server if I cant get this to work (I bear in mind that this may also be fruitless if the underlying networking issues I am experiencing with Hyper-V are not resolved).

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Probably not the reply you want, but seeing as this issue has been ongoing for some time, both Wild Mediaserver and J.River Mediaserver work very well on 2011. Both are not free, and Wild's pricing is per-device. But both work.
    Ben Ogilvie www.hdtvtoyz.com
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:47 PM
  • I'm definetly going to look into those too.

As an off-topic, I've started a new thread regarding the WHS2011 Hyper-V issues.

It can be found here.

Thanks.

Friday, November 11, 2011 1:37 AM