Genuine OEM version of XP SP2 "Not Genuine" after backup restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a problem. I have a system running a  valid OEM version of XP, and it recently crashed. Luckily I had a backup I had made a while ago using the Backup/restore tool with windows. I plugged in a hard drive I have running XP pro so I could but and restore my backup to the hard drive. It all worked fine, accept now when I boot my XP Home, it says it's not a genuine version. I checked the product key and it matches my COA perfectly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:36 AM

Answers

• Thebuckstopshere79,

It is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement to use a Dell-branded OEM license for XP on any computer other than a Dell computer with a corresponding Certificate of Authenticity for the edition of XP installed.

Apparently MS Activation reps have been giving you the benefit of the doubt when you phone in for activation.

Some more bad news:  The installation of Office XP w/Front Page on the computer is Nongenuine (Office Status:  114 means Nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please return to the place of purchase and demand that you be given the genuine software you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer.

In order to install and run genuine Windows, you must purchase a genuine retail full license for XP Pro, or purchase and install a genuine systembuilder/OEM license for XP Pro, one which would not have Dell or any other major manufacturer's name printed on it.  A genuine systembuilder/OEM license will have "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the COA.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:08 PM
  • buck:

It looks like you need to activate your copy of Windows XP - please follow the instructions here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also, your copy of Office is NOT GENUINE - it is a volume license belonging to a large corporation in the United States. You need to go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Office to receive steps on legalizing your copy of Office.

-phil

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:39 PM

All replies

• Jsworth,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi there

I too am having this same issue - every time i do a reinstall I have to phone in for activation
    I HAVE done as you direct (above) and this is the log:below
    And here are my specifics -

XP Pro SP2 (DELL) OEM v2002
    I purchased this os alone and my pc is NOT a Dell

Can someone assist me here?  Can i possibly use N-Lite to slipstream a new backup but also include this new/key

thanks

Heath

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TGFYR-VXGV8-QWPYM
    Windows Product Key Hash: 6F5MaEwjQQvzQnQFPsMHj+SHrik=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2263107-67876
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: dbb69b5d-4e8b-4971-bce1-b332c52cca37
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>dbb69b5d-4e8b-4971-bce1-b332c52cca37</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QWPYM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2263107-67876</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1757981266-2000478354-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0804   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061020000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>A1C9389F01847A6B</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17676</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Thebuckstopshere79,

It is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement to use a Dell-branded OEM license for XP on any computer other than a Dell computer with a corresponding Certificate of Authenticity for the edition of XP installed.

Apparently MS Activation reps have been giving you the benefit of the doubt when you phone in for activation.

Some more bad news:  The installation of Office XP w/Front Page on the computer is Nongenuine (Office Status:  114 means Nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please return to the place of purchase and demand that you be given the genuine software you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer.

In order to install and run genuine Windows, you must purchase a genuine retail full license for XP Pro, or purchase and install a genuine systembuilder/OEM license for XP Pro, one which would not have Dell or any other major manufacturer's name printed on it.  A genuine systembuilder/OEM license will have "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the COA.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:08 PM
  • buck:

It looks like you need to activate your copy of Windows XP - please follow the instructions here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also, your copy of Office is NOT GENUINE - it is a volume license belonging to a large corporation in the United States. You need to go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Office to receive steps on legalizing your copy of Office.

-phil

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:39 PM
  • I got it. Thanks for your help. Turns out that the backup was messed up. Anyone who is having problems like this after a system restore if you run the utility at that link if it says "Validation Controll not Installed" click on resolve under the windows tab. Worked great for me. Thanks again for your help Dan.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:56 PM