"at least one service has failed...check event viewer for more details" error on login screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

Whenever I boot my WHS I get this error at the login screen.  Can someone help me fix please?  What details do I need to post

Thanks

EB
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• problem seemed to be fixed.  the service I set to manual was related to a program I'd installed that I don't use anymore.

Thanks for the help
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi, strangely enough I am in the middle of the same issue. In my case I am short of a proper driver for the fax option on my all-in-one printer. I'll go to the supplier web-site and hopefully get the proper driver there. Windows 2003 apparently don't have it. This is what you do: Go to event viewer: start-control panel-adminstrative tools-event viewer. Check out System and you will find an error entry. That will set you on track. Good luck.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:17 PM
  • You may even not see any error in the event log, which is related. Sometimes this comes up also, if a service takes longer to start (maybe due to other dependencies), but can still be started successfully, therefore no error is reported in the log.
    On the server in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services order the services by startup type. If you find such, which are set to automated startup, but are not started, you will have to verify, if these are important services (a very few do start and stop immediatly anyway) and can change the startup type of failed services to manual. If the failing service is an important system service, you will have to find the cause.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:59 PM
  • You may actually find it's the CQvsvc.exe that is failing - this provides information to Windows Media Centres about Windows Home Server.  If you don't need it you should be able to safely disable the service in the services console.  However, the error is more of an annoyance rather than a problem and if you don't need MCE info then it's probably best to do nothing and ignore it.

See this thread if it is this service that is causing the message:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/0af457f9-badd-4023-80b2-8ba021a2829b/

--
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:19 AM
  • You may even not see any error in the event log, which is related. Sometimes this comes up also, if a service takes longer to start (maybe due to other dependencies), but can still be started successfully, therefore no error is reported in the log.
    On the server in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services order the services by startup type. If you find such, which are set to automated startup, but are not started, you will have to verify, if these are important services (a very few do start and stop immediatly anyway) and can change the startup type of failed services to manual. If the failing service is an important system service, you will have to find the cause.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thanks for the advice.  One service was 'automatic' but not 'started' which wasn't essential so I changed it to manual. 'Performance logs and alerts' (& 'SBCore Service' but I disabled this because I use the lightsout addin) - is this important?

cqsvc.exe isn't listed so I don't think this is the problem
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  One service was 'automatic' but not 'started' which wasn't essential so I changed it to manual. 'Performance logs and alerts'

Automatic but not started is normal for that service on WHS (and it's not what's causing your issue otherwise I would have the same problem  :)  ).

(& 'SBCore Service' but I disabled this because I use the lightsout addin) - is this important?

cqsvc.exe isn't listed so I don't think this is the problem
    cqvSvc.exe is Console QuickView Monitor Service (and it should be a service - Automatic and Started - on your server).  If it's not in your list of services, that might be your problem (something is trying to start the app, but it's not there so it can't).
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:34 PM
  •  'Performance logs and alerts' (& 'SBCore Service' but I disabled this because I use the lightsout addin) - is this important?
    Unless you know exactly what you are doing I would change those services back to how they were - it was only suggested to turn off the the Console QuickView Monitor Service and only if that was causing the error in Event Viewer. 

--
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:17 PM
  • problem seemed to be fixed.  the service I set to manual was related to a program I'd installed that I don't use anymore.

Thanks for the help
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:21 PM