Restoring Money 2004 Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I run Money 2004 on a partition on a Mac and the partition crashed and I had to re-load the software.  When I try to restore the back up on a USB flash drive, I get a similar message to mikeywlon ' ms money cannot find c:/documents/money..' I have done as was suggested to mikeylon but still no success.  I recall reloading the MS Money software before and I was asked immediately if I wanted a software upgrade which was downloaded and installed.  This time I have not had this message and I can't find an upgrade site for Money 2004.  Might the back up be refusing to load because it was a back up from the upgraded version of Money? I also have some older back ups on my hard drive and I have the same problem.  What can I do?  My financial records for the last 20 or so years are on the backup so quite serious!  Please can someone suggest a way to open them?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:31 AM

All replies

• Thank you for this but it still hasn't opened the file.  I found a copy of an .mny file on my hard drive and pasted it to the XP desktop.  It was dated 25 Mar so not the newest but the later ones were lost in the crash.  When prompted, I asked to open an existing file and pointed it to the desktop.  It was the same message - can't locate, is it read only etc - and then suggests opening the latest backup and a similar message.  At one point, there was a message asking if I wanted to convert the file, I clicked yes but then nothing happened.  What else can be done?  My version of Money 2004 is 14.0.120.730
    Friday, May 27, 2011 12:30 PM
  • For some reason, right clicking did not get 'run as an administrator' so no luck with Money 2005.  I did however download the US Money Plus sunset software and apart from some changes in terminology, it accepted and opened the back up file.  The only problem is when I try to update currencies I keep getting a message 'A file needed to run the planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve this problem, re-install money and then open your money file'. I have done this a number of times and also downloaded the software again but it did not resolve the problem.  Looking on the UK Money Users forum, there seems to be a possibility that one of the contributors might provide a version of 2005 with the update so users can continue with it.  In the meantime, the sunset version at least allows me to access my data.  Thank you for your help
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem as identified  by serikali's original post (UK). He is right, Money 2004 requested an update when installing. I did this as late as April 2011 on W7 & XP Pro. Having had a monumnetal  crash on 7 last week, and having done a clean install Money doesn't ask for the update and I cannot access either the restore or original data file. So I turned to XP Pro, same problem. I now have 15 years of data that I cannot access. I assume Ms have "pulled" and update?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:22 AM
  • If you've also made the 2004 mistake, as had the OP, then you have 2005 and you should read the threads here regarding 2005 and version 1105. Money 2004 required no update; Money 2005 does. You probably find you have 14.0x.x.730 installed, which is the "Money 2005 needing patched" version.

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:30 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem as identified  by serikali's original post (UK). He is right, Money 2004 requested an update when installing. I did this as late as April 2011 on W7 & XP Pro. Having had a monumnetal  crash on 7 last week, and having done a clean install Money doesn't ask for the update and I cannot access either the restore or original data file. So I turned to XP Pro, same problem. I now have 15 years of data that I cannot access. I assume Ms have "pulled" and update?

As has been said above, Money 2004 doesn't need an update.  You probably also have Money 2005.  Your easiest fix would be if you have a backup of the working Money installation of 2005 on any of your machines or if you installed Money to a different folder rather than overwriting the working version.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:34 AM