none
File Share Resource(s) not accessible after failing over RRS feed

• Question

• Example of Cluster Config:  Node1 & Node2 are the physical names and CL-NODE is the Cluster Name.  I have created a Group called Shares that has a Network Name resource of CL-NODEShares as well as an IP Resource and the actual File Share resources.  When Node1 is the owner of the Cluster Group and the Shares Group, I can browse the shares by the Cluster Name via UNC (i.e. \\CL-NODE), however when I fail the Shares Group to Node2, I am unable to see the shares by that same UNC path (\\cl-node); however I can access it by \\cl-nodeshares.  Now, if I then fail over the Cluster Group to Node2, then I am able to browse the shares by the Cluster Name again (\\cl-node). 

Is this how the File Shares are suppose to work in MSCS?  Ideally I would like to use the CLuster name to map to these shares not CL-NodeShares. 

Any advice is much appreciated.

Karl
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

•  You can access any of shares using any of the netbios names assign to the node. For example, If I have Node A, and it host 3 three Network Name resources, I can access that cluster using any of the four names, but once the three network name resource failover. The owner changes, and the 3 network name resources are still accessible but they are now online on Node B.

Now in your case CL-NODE the "cluster network name" is only accessible through the command prompt, or on the "Summary of the Cluster" page within Failover Cluster Management.

In Windows Server 2003 MSCS, we called the group owning the cluster resources the cluster group. The cluster.exe commandline still see it this way.

Type cluster.exe group within the commandline    to see the groups and status on the cluster
    Type cluster.exe group "Cluster Group" /move    to move the cluster resources to the other node, this will allow you to access the CL-NODE from node B.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben Ybarra Friday, September 12, 2008 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Greg Teather Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:36 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Karlm

Can you provide a little more information about your configuration?

Which version of HPC Server are you using? How are the UNC names for \\cl-node and \\cl-nodeshares configured?
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Is the network share physically located on the shared storage device?
    Friday, September 12, 2008 9:41 AM
  •  You can access any of shares using any of the netbios names assign to the node. For example, If I have Node A, and it host 3 three Network Name resources, I can access that cluster using any of the four names, but once the three network name resource failover. The owner changes, and the 3 network name resources are still accessible but they are now online on Node B.

Now in your case CL-NODE the "cluster network name" is only accessible through the command prompt, or on the "Summary of the Cluster" page within Failover Cluster Management.

In Windows Server 2003 MSCS, we called the group owning the cluster resources the cluster group. The cluster.exe commandline still see it this way.

Type cluster.exe group within the commandline    to see the groups and status on the cluster
    Type cluster.exe group "Cluster Group" /move    to move the cluster resources to the other node, this will allow you to access the CL-NODE from node B.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben Ybarra Friday, September 12, 2008 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Greg Teather Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:36 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:49 PM
  • thank you
    Karl
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:00 PM