Vista home premium RRS feed

• Question

• I have just returned from holiday switched on my computer to be met with the account activation screena nd the warning my version of Vista home premium is not genuine? The computer is less than 6 months old and bought from HP with Vista pre installed. I have tried reentering the product ID code for Vista but it will not recognise it. HP (well their far away call centre) tell me they will have to formatt my hard drive in order to correct this problem? I am reluctant to do so as I will loose all my family phots music collection plus many other applications and work. Does anyone please have a better solution to this problem?

When I do put in the product code an information box comes up with the code 'oxc 004f050' and the message that the product key is invalid.

Please help
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:50 PM

Answers

• What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

In addition, please review the following:

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:12 PM

All replies

• What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

In addition, please review the following:

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Dave, I'm finding from a few months' experience that HP's support almost always ends with "you'll have to use your Recovery disks and reinstall".  Don't do it!  Keep web searching for answers that aren't already in HP's written solution center (which is pretty good but not complete).

By now HP support should have been aware of what is going on in these forums for these messages.  The fact that it's not aware should give you pause about following its ultimate solution which is "reinstall". 
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:05 PM