SyncToy 2 fails after upgrade from Beta RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just updated from SyncToy 2 Beta to SyncToy 2, when I attempt to run it I get this message

"The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location." Re-running setup does not solve the problem.

I did have SyncToy 2 running before on my XP system which I had upgraded from the Beta version with no problem.  However I had to revert to a previous System Backup because of some other problem which resulted in me going back to the Beta version. It is thus possible that I have corrupted some data somewhere which now is causing a problem.

Help!

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:21 PM

Answers

•  Hi Deepa,

No I did not install Microsoft Sync Framework V2. As to removing the version 1.0 Framework you suggested this procedure in your post in this thread on 09 October 2008. I replied on the 10 October 2008 indicating that I could not remove the Framework and also that the SDK element was not present on my system.

I however now have the Latest version of SyncToy installed and running on my system. Below I have listed the approximate procedure I followed. My apologies for the length but I wanted to be as clear as possible so that the procedure might be of use to others. 

1.     Create Folder (Synctoy 2009) on desktop

2.     Download latest version of Synctoy to Folder in 1

3.     Download Sync Framework v1.0 From Microsoft Download Center to Folder in 1

I found that at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en

4.     Unzip downloaded file in “Synctoy 2009” Folder.

In my case the file looked like SyncSetup_en.x86, this obviously relates to the file I selected from the Download Center in 3 above.

5.     Run current Version of Synctoy to synchronise all folder pairs.

6.     Copy “SyncToyDirParis.bin” and “SyncToyLog.log” to “Synctoy 209” folder

These two files will be found in somewhere like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Sync toy\2.0

If not just search for the files.

7.     Go to “Add or Remove Programs” (or whatever it is called) find Synctoy then uninstall it.

8.     Remove Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime V1.0

In step 8 I got an error box “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.”

9.     In the error box Browse to
    “Synctoy 209\ SyncSetup_en.x86\Microsoft Sync Framework”

then click OK and wait for the remove to complete.

10.  Remove “Sync Framework Services V1.0”

In step 10 I got an error box similar to 8

11.  In the error box Browse to

“Synctoy 209\ SyncSetup_en.x86\Microsoft  Sync Framework Services”

In my case Sync Framework SDK was not present so all of the Framework had now been removed

12.  Restart PC (just in case)

13.  Install Synctoy2 from “Synctoy 209” Folder.

At this point I checked what had been installed and found that as expected SyncToy 2.0 was installed and the only elements of the Framework were “Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime V1.0” and” Microsoft Sync Framework Services V1.0”. “Microsoft Sync Framework SDK V 1.0” was not and installed.

14.  Copy “SyncToyDirParis.bin” from desktop folder “Synctoy 209” to wherever the install has put the new version of this file.

The new file should be in somewhere like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Sync toy\2.0

If not just search for the file.

This copy will overwrite the installed file so that the new install will use the old folder pairs that were present in the previous version of SyncToy.

Start Synctoy and see if it works. The saved “SyncToyLog.log” in step 6 has not been used and was saved just in case.

The Procedure I have detailed worked with no problem, for me, but I had taken the precaution of backing up the whole system just in case I screwed up. I would suggest that this is a good idea for anyone else who tries this.

Hope this is of some help to anyone who has a similar problem

Regards,

Colin.

• Marked as answer by ColinWhi Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• It looks like you went back to the Beta versions of the Sync Framework - just reinstall SyncToy 2.0 and it should fix the problem.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I have already tried that and I still have the same problem and indeed error message.

Just to be sure though I have just tried once again, going from Beta to the latest upgrade. The upgrade goes ahead fine but as soon as I try to sync or preview I get:

"The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location."

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Looks like something is messed up with the upgrade. Can you try manually uninstalling the Beta version by going to the Add/Remove Programs. I want you to remove SyncToy 2.0 Beta, Microsoft Sync Framework SDK, Microsoft Sync Framework Services  and Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime ( in this specific order ). Then try doing the SyncToy 2.0 install - this will not be an upgrade but a fresh install.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks
    Deepa

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for the Help.

Here is the state of play:

Removed Version 2 (not Beta)

Could not find Microsoft Sync Framework SDK under the "Add or Remove Programs" panel

Microsoft Sync Framework Services; Could not remove with the following message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ProviderService.msi' in the box below.

Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ProviderService.msi' in the box below.

I tried going back to the Beta version which works fine, and then performing your recommended procedure with the same result.

Regards,

Colin.

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Since you say you went back to the Beta Version I am guessing you have the Beta version saved off somewhere. When you try to uninstall and it is asking you for the path to "ProviderService.msi" - can you not point it to that specific msi?

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I do indeed have the Beta version squirrelled away, but all I have is SyncToySetup.exe for the Beta version and SyncToySetupPackage.exe for the latest version. I have switched installations between those two executables and in both cases I have searched  for "ProviderService.msi", I thought the msi might be part of the package but I can not find it on the system under either version.

Regards,

Colin.

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I have run SyncToy 2 (not Beta) for some time but realised a few days ago that my scheduled jobs were not working.  I don't recall making any changes to the system recently.  I tried uninstall, reinstall, repair, download again all to no avail but did find that it worked from a different user on my PC.  I saw your post and tried to delete SyncToy 2 again, couldn't find SDK, deleted Services then Runtime.  I then reinstalled but the result was exactly the same; the other user still works okay though.  Not much help I am afraid but just to let you know that you are not alone.

Regards,

John

Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:31 PM
  • I am trying to install Synctoy 2.0 but fails completely. It starts to install Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86) which fails and stops the rest of the installation. I never installed a beta or previous version of Synctoy before. Any idea wat to do?

Details are as follows:

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.3 {version}
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\dotnetfx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Process exited with code 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
    Read string value '7.0.5730.13'
    Setting value '7.0.5730.13 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)':
    Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 1 {int}
    Property: [IEVersion] = 7.0.5730.13 {string}
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\x64\netfx64.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\x64\netfx64.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\ia64\netfx64.exe'
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\ia64\netfx64.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\msfcheck.exe" {13B7A226-9563-4965-BC23-1F83B498F5D7} 1
    Process exited with code 0
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)':
    Property: [SyncFrameworkInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Running checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled' and value '1': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi' is 'Install'
    'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 (x86)', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\msfcheck.exe" {70903796-C8C6-475D-BDB2-B32AC46AF40A} 1
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'SyncFrameworkServiceInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 (x86)':
    Property: [SyncFrameworkServiceInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Running checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework Services\ProviderServices.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'SyncFrameworkServiceInstalled' and value '1': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework Services\ProviderServices.msi' is 'Install'
    'Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    EULA for components 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86), Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 (x86)' was accepted.
    Copying files to temporary directory "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\"
    Copying from 'c:\28f776d0787664d6b3\Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi' to 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi'
    File 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe' already copied.  Skipping file copy.
    File 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\msfcheck.exe' already copied.  Skipping file copy.
    Copying from 'c:\28f776d0787664d6b3\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\ProviderServices.msi' to 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\ProviderServices.msi'
    File 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe' already copied.  Skipping file copy.
    File 'C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework Services\msfcheck.exe' already copied.  Skipping file copy.
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)', phase BeforePackage
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\msfcheck.exe" {13B7A226-9563-4965-BC23-1F83B498F5D7} 1
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)':
    Property: [SyncFrameworkInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Running checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled' and value '1': false
    Result of checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi' is 'Install'
    'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Verifying file integrity of C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi
    WinVerifyTrust returned 0
    File trusted
    Installing using command line '"C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe" -I "C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1.CTE\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD354.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization.msi" -q APPGUID={A648DDB6-BA56-4233-A3FE-F14D1121B78B}'
    Process exited with code 1603
    Status of package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x86)' after install is 'InstallFailed'
    Status of package 'Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 (x86)' after install is 'InstallNeeded'

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:30 AM
  • willempie1965

Your post into my thread is not relevant to my problem. I suggest you open a new thread with your problem. I was rather hoping that this thread, that I started, would help to solve my problem, not become a random repository for other people.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  ColinWhi wrote:

Hi,

Yes I do indeed have the Beta version squirrelled away, but all I have is SyncToySetup.exe for the Beta version and SyncToySetupPackage.exe for the latest version. I have switched installations between those two executables and in both cases I have searched  for "ProviderService.msi", I thought the msi might be part of the package but I can not find it on the system under either version.

Regards,

Colin.

The quoted text is the last useful response I had to my problem. It would be helpful to me if posts addressed this problem.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:12 PM
  • I have a similar problem in that when trying to upgrade from V2 beta to V2 the upgrade fails with the message " The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package" etc etc. Trying to uninstall via add or remove programmes gives the same result. Presumably a part of the msi install package has gone missing.

I wondered if reinstalling V2 beta might enable me to uninstall it - but I cannot find V2 Beta to downlaod anywhere. I note you have V2 Beta "squirrelled away" - would it be possible to get a copy pls?

I appreciate this does not assist with your problem though. Thanks. JJMW

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Hi,

Already sent you an E-mail, hope that helps. Your post has assisted with my problem in as much as you seem to have the same failure when attempting to upgrade from Beta to the latest version. I have tried fresh installations of the Beta and the upgrade still fails. I can only hope that one of the Developers can suggest a resolution to this problem.

Regards,

Colin. 

Friday, October 24, 2008 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

I have the exact problem that Colin describes. Hope you guys can find a work around. I am stranded for now.

Thnx

Troy

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:08 PM
  •  

I am having the same issue.  Any luck?
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Can you please start a new thread describing your problem? This thread has many responses so I'm confused about your exact situation.

thanks

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I could start a new thread, and if you absolutely insist I will. The problem is that I can not update from Beta to version 2.

If I attempt to upgrade I get:

"The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location."

Re-running setup does not solve the problem.

I am currently running the Beta version having given up on the upgrade path.

I would like to maintain this thread in case others with a similar problem are monitoring replies here.

Regards

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Sorry about your problem - can you try going to Add-Remove Programs and removing/uninstalling SyncToy, and then run the SyncToy 2.0 setup again? You will have to re-create the folder pairs though, but that might fix the issue.

When do you get this error - when you try to run the setup or when you try to launch SyncToy after what looks like a successful setup?

Friday, January 16, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Below are the steps that I undertook. I made sure that I had the current version of SyncToy2 by downloading from Microsoft's site. The install of the latest version appears to work, the problem only presents when the application launched.

1. Beta removed and PC restarted.

2. Downloaded and Installed latest version

3. Install OK problem presents when run.

4. PC restarted problem still present

5. Sync 2 removed and PC restarted

6. Beta installed and working

Regards,

Colin.

Monday, January 19, 2009 8:34 AM
  • I am now experiecing the same issue as Colin.  When I attempt to run SyncToy 2.0, I get the following message immediately:  "The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location."

This is occurring on an XP Pro machine.  I have been running SyncToy 2.0 for quite a while with no issues.  Yesterday morning, this came out of the blue.  My machine had not restarted since the last successful sync.  I too have done the uninstall - reinstall routine with no success.  Could this be caused inadvertantly by an MS update that was installed automatically?

This application is important to how I operate, so I hope a fix will come soon.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Well, here it is, 22 January 2009, and I'm having the same problem: "The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location."

Any progress toward a fix?
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:48 AM
  • BTW, concerning the previous post: I'm running Vista. And SyncToy 2 was working just fine--until yesterday. And then I got the dread message: "The required Microsoft Sync Framework components for SyncToy cannot be found. Please re-run SyncToy 2.0 setup from the original location." I've uninstalled and re-installed several times. No luck.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Hi -

We release Microsoft Sync Framework V2 CTP1 in October last year. Is there a chance that you actually installed this. Currently installing this will result in the binaries being updated ( no side-by-side).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=109DB36E-CDD0-4514-9FB5-B77D9CEA37F6&displaylang=en

Can you try uninstalling the framework specifically using Add/Remove programs after uninstalling the SyncToy 2.0. The framework comes up as three entries like

Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime V1.0

Microsoft Sync Framework SDK V 1.0

Microsoft Sync Framework Services V1.0

After making sure that these are gone - reinstall SyncToy 2.0 and let me know if this fixed the problem.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hi

I had exactly the same issue.  I even tried to delete all registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_USER, and all files under "Local Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy", as it worked if I created another user.

My problem was that I copied some of my profile directories and files over, and I missed that "Local Application Data\filesync.metadata" was part of SyncToy.  After deleting this it works fine.

Windows XP

{USER_PROFILE}\Local Settings\Application Data\filesync.metadata

{USER_PROFILE}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\

Windows Vista

{USER_PROFILE}\AppData\Local\filesync.metadata

{USER_PROFILE}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\

Hope this is of some help to somebody.

M
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:54 AM
  •  Hi Deepa,

No I did not install Microsoft Sync Framework V2. As to removing the version 1.0 Framework you suggested this procedure in your post in this thread on 09 October 2008. I replied on the 10 October 2008 indicating that I could not remove the Framework and also that the SDK element was not present on my system.

I however now have the Latest version of SyncToy installed and running on my system. Below I have listed the approximate procedure I followed. My apologies for the length but I wanted to be as clear as possible so that the procedure might be of use to others. 

1.     Create Folder (Synctoy 2009) on desktop

2.     Download latest version of Synctoy to Folder in 1

3.     Download Sync Framework v1.0 From Microsoft Download Center to Folder in 1

I found that at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en

4.     Unzip downloaded file in “Synctoy 2009” Folder.

In my case the file looked like SyncSetup_en.x86, this obviously relates to the file I selected from the Download Center in 3 above.

5.     Run current Version of Synctoy to synchronise all folder pairs.

6.     Copy “SyncToyDirParis.bin” and “SyncToyLog.log” to “Synctoy 209” folder

These two files will be found in somewhere like:

If not just search for the files.

7.     Go to “Add or Remove Programs” (or whatever it is called) find Synctoy then uninstall it.

8.     Remove Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime V1.0

In step 8 I got an error box “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.”

9.     In the error box Browse to
    “Synctoy 209\ SyncSetup_en.x86\Microsoft Sync Framework”

10.  Remove “Sync Framework Services V1.0”

In step 10 I got an error box similar to 8

11.  In the error box Browse to

“Synctoy 209\ SyncSetup_en.x86\Microsoft  Sync Framework Services”

In my case Sync Framework SDK was not present so all of the Framework had now been removed

12.  Restart PC (just in case)

13.  Install Synctoy2 from “Synctoy 209” Folder.

At this point I checked what had been installed and found that as expected SyncToy 2.0 was installed and the only elements of the Framework were “Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime V1.0” and” Microsoft Sync Framework Services V1.0”. “Microsoft Sync Framework SDK V 1.0” was not and installed.

14.  Copy “SyncToyDirParis.bin” from desktop folder “Synctoy 209” to wherever the install has put the new version of this file.

The new file should be in somewhere like:

If not just search for the file.

This copy will overwrite the installed file so that the new install will use the old folder pairs that were present in the previous version of SyncToy.

Start Synctoy and see if it works. The saved “SyncToyLog.log” in step 6 has not been used and was saved just in case.

The Procedure I have detailed worked with no problem, for me, but I had taken the precaution of backing up the whole system just in case I screwed up. I would suggest that this is a good idea for anyone else who tries this.

Hope this is of some help to anyone who has a similar problem

Regards,

Colin.

• Marked as answer by ColinWhi Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:55 PM