CRM Case creation with notes RRS feed

• Question

• It was brought to my attention by a user that they used to be able to create a case and add a note before saving the case however with our upgrade to RU15 on CRM 2011 they are no longer able to create the note before saving the case. Can anyone confirm if this was possible in the past? My assumption would have been that the case had to be saved first before adding the note so that the note had a record to associate itself with.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Jenn

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

• I am on RU15. I guess I should clarify my previous response. The ribbon is disabled to add a note. When you go down to the note area and add note it allows you to type in the description of the note, but the note record itself is not created until the Case is saved. This has not changed though from pre RU15 to R15.

• Edited by KawasakiRider03 Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by JenniferNHS Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:53 PM

All replies

• I think it depends on how you try to add the note to the case. If you use the ribbon to add note then it is disabled and you cannot add new note. If you go down to the note area and click "add new note" it will allow you to create a note before saving. I just tested it and it works that way for me.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:20 PM
  • THanks for your response. Can you tell me what version you are using? I am wondering if this is an issue with the latest release then?
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:23 PM
  • I am on RU15. I guess I should clarify my previous response. The ribbon is disabled to add a note. When you go down to the note area and add note it allows you to type in the description of the note, but the note record itself is not created until the Case is saved. This has not changed though from pre RU15 to R15.

• Edited by KawasakiRider03 Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by JenniferNHS Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:53 PM
  • That makes perfect sense. Can you tell me if the done button that is now on the case notes is new since RU15. My user does not remember having this before but insists that the note would save. When I test this if I click the done button on the note the note saves even if the case does not however if I enter a note without clicking the done button then the note does not save when I save the case.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:53 PM
  • I am using CRM On-Premise and I do not have a done button. But it appears it is new for CRM Online. I found this article that mentions it with CRM 2011 Polaris release.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15502.crm-2011-and-the-little-things-that-matter.aspx

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:07 PM
  • hmm funn that I am CRM 2011 RU15 on premise as well and I have the button.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Huh, I'll have to do some research as too why that is. Well I guess that answers your question though, it is definitely a new feature.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:24 PM