What's this ? RRS feed

• Question

• This is new what this here for ?

Not heard of a start up cleaner ?

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:25 PM

Answers

• I think it refers to the option to change startup settings ( programs set to start with Windows) on the tune up tab.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:26 AM

All replies

• I think it refers to the option to change startup settings ( programs set to start with Windows) on the tune up tab.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:26 AM
  • I'm going with Jim's answer. It appears that the OneCare team wants to keep the testers and moderators on our toes by adding another folder today!

I liked you subject line, too, Mikro - made me think of Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas.  Kind of appropriate for beta testers discovering new features!

-steve

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:30 AM
  • I thought it was something New coming in the refresh build
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:40 AM
  • I think we'd need to extend Jim's description to include the automatic 'cleaning' or more accurately removal of entries that have become orphaned by the installation and removal of software.

This is what I had indicated in earlier threads (1.0 time frame) as the only really 'safe' and useful method of 'Registry Cleaning' that could be performed automatically, since these orphaned entries can cause significant startup delays and are fairly easy to detect and remove. Obviously this is a significant portion of the startup optimization, though I'd guess there might be other abilities included such as startup ordering and maybe even some conflict detection and/or resolution (think conflicting AV products).

OneCareBear

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:37 AM
  • Great answer, OneCareBear! I think it's a great approach to Registry Cleaning - it should be a safe, effective way to improve your PC's performance. I also think your "suggestion" is awesome - this would replace BootVis, and also give another great reason to use OneCare. It actually optimizes your PC, even the proactive fixes which seems excellent if it works flawlessly. All we need, and I think that's it really as OneCare is always in the struggle to improve its protection capabilities (complete and flawless removal of very dangerous malware is one of those things needing improvement (and the protection from the FW), in the meanwhile as the Anti Malware team is getting the samples.) - is the opportunity to customize the Tune-Up feature the way we want it, as for example Anti-Virus is being scheduled on its own *too* and we have our own disk defragmention and optimizations tools.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Startup Cleaner?????????

Did not even know we had one till today I guess another look at OneCare 2.0 would be in order Smile

chuck

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:28 PM
  • First of all thanks for taking interest in this feature.

The Startup Cleaner feature has been designed to help our customers get rid of unneeded startup items from their computers. As some of you pointed out, a glimpse of the feature is available under the tune-up tab accessible through the change settings link on the main UI. This is just one aspect of a powerful yet simple approach to disabling unneeded startup items.

We believe that components of applications that are rarely used on a computer can be disabled from the computer's startup. So, users with excess unused applications on their computer receive an action item, as part of OneCare's monthly report, recommending them to disable components of such programs. Usage data along with other information about the parent application is designed to simplify the decision of disabling these startup items.

We currently calculate usage over a seven day period before making a recommendation. So most affected users saw the feature in action last week as part of their second monthly report (currently shown once every week).

I guess a lot of our beta testers are proud computer owners with very clean startup lists! So, your best bet is to immediately start installing a tonne of software applications on your computer in order to see an action item in future monthly reports.

In addition to the action item, you can also use the advanced UI to evaluate our usage detection algorithm. We have worked hard to make our usage detection as accurate as possible. This information is shown seven days after installing the application. The usage detection algorithm is fed by intelligence from the cloud which is generated by manually servicing software applications. So, please be patient if your favorite (or not so favorite) application is not covered yet. We will cover it soon with the exception of some classes of applications that cannot be currently measured.

We would love to receive more feedback about the feature as well as usage detection. We have posted some instructions on our wiki for this. So happy bug filing!

http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/OneCare.StartupCleaner

-FeaturePM

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Hello to everyone,

can somebody tell me, what's about the colum 'Used'?

It's nice to see in 'Last used' when I have disabled a program, but I do net get any entry except 'Unknown' in the colum 'Used' ... What information should be displayed there?

Thanks

-Mathias-

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:48 PM
  •  

vista has this in it at the default settings use it to set start up programs.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 1:06 AM
  •  

Hi Mathias,

the columen 'Used' is supposed to give an indication of how much you use the program associated with that startup item. We usually show 'Rarely' or 'Medium' or 'High' to indicate how much usage onecare has detected for that application. The reason you don't see the usage yet, is because we are still adding servicing for what different applications mean. We are working on that as we speak and you should start seeing a few applications show up usage in the next couple of weeks.

The idea is for the users to see what applications they are not using, so that they can safely disable them without any loss of functionality.

thanks,

-Vikram.

Sr. Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Hi Vikram,

thanks a lot for your detailed answer.

So am I right, that one of the still running services "Windows Live OneCare" (winss.exe), "OneCare AntiSpyware and AntiVirus" (MsMpEng.exe) or "OneCare Firewall" (msfwsvc.exe) is still gaining the usage information?

(In fakt I am missing the "startupitem.exe" which is descriped in the blog about the startup cleaner at channel9)

-Mathias-

Thursday, August 2, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Hi Mathias,

It is true that on your client we keep track of the last few times you ran an application to give you the usage information on that application.

Thanks,

-Vikram.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 8:08 PM
  • I just used the startup cleaner and like it a lot better than msconfig. It would be most helpful if there was a link from the program name that tells you more information about the program. When you have several programs by the same manufacturer it takes a lot of time to find out what startup program is associated with which installed program.

I have looked these file name up on several different internet sites and sometimes get conflicting information. Don't most Windows compatibility program companied share basic information with MS about their products? This could be incorporated into the startup cleaner as an updated list with each OneCare update or link to a MS web-site for additional information. Thought this would be a good addition for the novis use that does not know what all these programs are.

Also need a way to clean out all the duplicate entries in the startup as well. There are some programs that will keep making a new entry in the startup each time you use it if you uncheck to load at startup. Google toolbar notifier is one of these programs. I have four (4) Google toolbar notifier entries in the startup.

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the nature of the software that often ends up in startup is that it isn't certified and anyone can create software to hog CPU time on the PC. I think a list of known programs, sort of like the community concept in Windows Defender, would be good, though.

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Actually, the intent is that Startup Cleaner will eventually determine what programs in startup aren't really being used and will offer to turn these off for the user without them ever needing to go into the startup configuration screen, or even know what the programs are for that matter. The screen exists to allow manual configuration and to provide information about which programs have been removed from startup.

Since some programs are difficult to identify or monitor usage, this won't necessarily work for everything. However, it should be able to detect some of the worst offending programs that are never used and simply cause overhead by using memory and processor for no reason.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Steve: Is there a way in OneCare startup to clean out the duplicate entries? I have several programs I have disabled using msconfig in the past and the programs have added another entry. So I now have three or four programs with two or more entires in the startup.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Thanks Jim. The cleanup tool works great.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Hi Ernie,

you have a very good point. We do try and provide information about the application itself instead of the startup item. That should help you with the association correctly. However, our servicing is still catching up, and that might be one of the reasons you are not seeing that information for that particular item. As our servicing catches up, you will be able to see which applications are putting the startup items instead of the item itself.

That said, in few cases, it there are items that are put there by multiple applications and all of those could exist on your machine. We do detect so and say so if that item has been serviced. Please keep tuned to this feature and let us know how you like the changes.

Thanks for the valuable feedback,

-Vikram.

Sr.Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare.

Monday, September 24, 2007 1:03 PM