mesh with privoxy, where are error messages RRS feed

• Question

• I use privoxy to block advertisements.
    If I turn privoxy off, mesh works, otherwise it will not sync.
    I do not know what pattern is causing the problem, but it does not matter here.

In the LAN settings under windows, one can say, bypass the proxy for addresses beginning with ....
    but what can one put here ?
    I tried mesh.com and msft.net, but with no luck.

Thanks for any advice.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:31 AM

Answers

• It is  *.mesh.com for activity with your Mesh via port 443
    It logs in at *.live.com, also on port 443

Bottom line, though, is that Live Mesh doesn't work with a proxy, so you're on your own to open your proxy up for Mesh traffic.

Watching my session from sign-in anc check for changes, the following domains were accessed:
    Host: msnia.login.live.com:443
    Host: accounts.mesh.com:443
    Host: storage.mesh.com:443

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:33 PM

All replies

Bottom line, though, is that Live Mesh doesn't work with a proxy, so you're on your own to open your proxy up for Mesh traffic.

Watching my session from sign-in anc check for changes, the following domains were accessed:

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:33 PM

-steve

Are you sure ? Live mesh seems to have problems with authorized proxies, but
    simple filters should be no problem.
    To add to the list above, I checked further and there are lots of accesses to
    a1.mesh.com, a2.mesh.com, .... but for me, it was trying to access
    enclosurealt.mesh.com
    and this was causing my particular problem. Now it seems to work. Strangely, after the initial syncs
    the code does not seems to be trying to get to enclosurealt.mesh.com any more.
    Thanks for the pointers.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Thanks for your additional comments and observations. Basically, I used Fiddler for a few minutes to see where the client was going and the domains I posted where all that I observed for sign-on and after I updated a file on the Live Desktop as well as the local PC. It does appear that all traffic is going to mesh.com, though, so a filter to allow that to pass without authentication at all should allow it to work, but there are no absolutes. There may well be other ports involved, especially if you intend to also use remote desktop via Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:35 PM