Microsoft Money 2004 save file changed to .mn8 RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy...I've been using Money 2004 for a long while with no problems, but suddenly the save file has converted to a .mn8 and I can longer access my accounts.  I've tried restoring back-ups from two sources (internal and external HDs) but for whatever inexplicable reason neither one contains any information after end of Nov 2011--and I have used Money 2004 massive amounts of time after that with no problems, always accessed from the save file in my documents folder  (Windows XP home v5.1, service pack 3)

Any advice on how to get that .mn8 back into something usable (and some explanation as to why it changed itself would satisfy my curiousity!)

Many thanks in advance!

Fazzy

Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:53 PM

All replies

• The *.mn8 file was created when you upgraded from Money 2000 to a later version. It is a copy of your Money 2000 file before conversion. So that file would not have info from after you converted.

Are you in North America, or elsewhere? Your symptoms correspond to somebody in the UK who has recently reinstalled from a disk that says Microsoft Money, but does not say Microsoft Money 2004. That would be Microsoft Money 2005, and the original install disk was useless without the upgrade server which no longer exists. If that fits your situation, then use the appropriate Money 2005 install file pointed to by the first posting in this forum. Then you should be able to restore from one of your *.mbf files. If you are using Money 2004, Help about will say version 12. If using Money 2005 with the needed updates, it will say 14.0.*.1105. If it is the unpatched version of money 2005, it will be 14.0.*.730 I think.

If that does not account for your situation, an install from an appropriate version described in that first post may well be your solution anyway.

Otherwise, what happens when you try to File->Restore a *.mbf file?

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I'm definitely using Money 2004 (version 12, update 1, and in North America), which I did upgrade years ago from an earlier version.  The icon I click to open Money 2004 is the same icon I've been clicking since it was upgraded; one day it works and the next it doesn't.

I Tried to restore from a couple of different .mbf files, with various 'modified' dates, and I get the the same thing problem from all.  For example, an .mbf which was last modified on Tuesday May 8, 2012 (this file is on an external HD) restores with no problems , but the last entry in any account is at the end of Nov. 2011; everything from Nov 2011 to the present is not there...7 months of backups across 12 accounts is not there, and according to the 'modified' date (i.e. the last date I backed up to that particular file) most of it should be.   And if the .mn8 file is a snapshot of the moment when I upgraded from  2000 to 2004, then it looks like 7 months of data has vanished.  I just used it last week; it has to be somewhere.  help!

Fazz

Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:32 PM
  • I am sorry to hear that; the other would have had a solution. I wish there was some cure I could suggest, but I think you have already searched your disks for any *.mn? files that could help.

The sooner you download statements from any financial institutions that provide those, the better. Each only keeps transactions to download for a limited amount of time.

When you restore and use the default filename, the existing *.mny file gets overwritten. Optionally you can Browse to you Documents folder and choose a different filename for the restored file.

Unfortunately Money 2004 names the backups the same thing each time unless you manually change the setup.

I hesitate to speculate on what went wrong. I am sure you are already planning to modify your backup strategy. Here is a concept for a batch file that you could run as a scheduled task or manually:

del c:\mybackups\fazz.mbf.bk3
    ren c:\mybackups\fazz.mbf.bk2 fazz.mbf.bk3
    ren c:\mybackups\fazz.mbf.bk1 fazz.mbf.bk2
    ren c:\mybackups\fazz.mbf fazz.mbf.bk1
    copy C:\Users\Fazz\Documents\fazz.mbf c:\mybackups\fazz.mbf /y

Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Bleh...sort of figured I was screwed.  Good thing I have all my account statements on paper.  LOL!

Thanks for your time and help!

Fazz

Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Most brokers and many credit cards let you download via OFX servers. See http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/ to see if yours are listed.

Many banks and credit cards let you download OFX or QFX files, and Money 2004 can read those in. Then you will only have to fill in part of your data manually.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:30 PM