How to accomplish the very first step RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to learn both Infer.net and all the theroy behind at the same time it isn't easy. Here's what I'm stepping over right now: I read the Whodunit example in "An Introduction to Infer.NET" and thought I understood it well. Now I'm trying to model the simple example (two variables: culprit and weapon) in my very first lines in infer.net and got stuck with two things:

1. After defining the two Enum-Variables (culprit, weapon), how do I model their cause-effect relationship (First the "culprit experiment" and then the "weapon experiment"? 

2. How do I define the different probabilities for the weapon variable conditioned on the different possible culprits?

A small example in "An Introduction to Infer.NET" on how this example can be cast into code would make the document a real introduction. 

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:44 PM

Answers

• It'll be something like:

var murderer = Variable.Bernoulli(priorMurderer1);
    var weapon = Variable.New<int>();
    weapon.SetValueRange(new Range(2));

using (Variable.If(murderer))
    {
    	weapon.SetTo(Variable.Discrete(new[] { priorWeapon1GivenMurderer1, priorWeapon2GivenMurderer1 }));
    }

using (Variable.IfNot(murderer))
    {
    	weapon.SetTo(Variable.Discrete(new[] { priorWeapon2GivenMurderer1, priorWeapon2GivenMurderer2 }));
    }

weapon.ObservedValue = (weaponObserved == Weapon1) ? 0 : 1;
    var posterior = engine.Infer<Bernoulli>(murderer);

A much more extensive example of a similar type of a model can be found here.

-Y-

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:28 PM

All replies

• It'll be something like:

var murderer = Variable.Bernoulli(priorMurderer1);
    var weapon = Variable.New<int>();
    weapon.SetValueRange(new Range(2));

using (Variable.If(murderer))
    {
    	weapon.SetTo(Variable.Discrete(new[] { priorWeapon1GivenMurderer1, priorWeapon2GivenMurderer1 }));
    }

using (Variable.IfNot(murderer))
    {
    	weapon.SetTo(Variable.Discrete(new[] { priorWeapon2GivenMurderer1, priorWeapon2GivenMurderer2 }));
    }

weapon.ObservedValue = (weaponObserved == Weapon1) ? 0 : 1;
    var posterior = engine.Infer<Bernoulli>(murderer);

A much more extensive example of a similar type of a model can be found here.

-Y-

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Thanks a lot for giving me directions. That helps a lot!

Christoph

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:43 PM