Synchronizing a one way file systeem to a large destination RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have thge following problem:

I want to synchronize a file system from a local office to a server destination. The destination file storage is huge. About 200,000 file and 120 GB of storage. the source has only a few MB. The problem i am facing is that the knowlegde file on the destination machine is huge (about 200MB)

As i understood from the sych algorithm this file is sent to the source when the source want to send files to the destination.Does that mean that the entire 200MB will be send on the network?

Is there a better solution or way? on am i missing something?

Pini
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess the 200MB file is your metadata file that tracks all of your destination files and folders. If you Destination server never synced with any other stores, the server knowledge should be pretty small (less than 1k). For your case, if the sync is one way only (client to server), and the all changes from this small client are successfully applied on server in regular syncs, the knowledge of the server will stay small.

Thanks,
    Dong

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:23 PM
  • That is not the case

The server gets updated from others that these clients.

The metadata file is huge no matter what i do.

Any ideas?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Pini,

Are you seeing that these large file is causing sync delays?

As Dong noted, even if the file is huge, the knowledge is not necessarily that big. So not all of the 200MB you see will get sent over to the other side when you sync.

Do let us know what behavior you are seeing though.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:04 AM