Started restore - BLUE SCREEN RRS feed

• Question

• Shortly after installing IE8 and then SP3 on a Dell Dimension 2400, the computer started to state IE8 had to close.  This was not fun having the internet have to close all the time.  I followed instructions on how to remove SP3 and then IE8.  After reboot it would not run without crashing.  OK, I had a two day old, and before IE8 and SP3 were installed, backup.  So I just went with a full restore.   The restore looked like all would be ok.  Then about 3 to 4 minutes into the restore -BLUE SCREEN and shutdown!
      How am I going to restore when the computer keeps on crashing during the restore???
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:27 AM

Answers

• Well, I found some time to check this unit out.  The problem is something I have never had happen to any computer:  A memory board went bad.  By changing it out I was able to repair the problem and get it up and running again.

R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:21 AM
    • Edited by R.T._CAT Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:24 AM small correction.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:21 AM

All replies

• Shortly after installing IE8 and then SP3 on a Dell Dimension 2400, the computer started to state IE8 had to close.  This was not fun having the internet have to close all the time.  I followed instructions on how to remove SP3 and then IE8.  After reboot it would not run without crashing.  OK, I had a two day old, and before IE8 and SP3 were installed, backup.  So I just went with a full restore.   The restore looked like all would be ok.  Then about 3 to 4 minutes into the restore -BLUE SCREEN and shutdown!
      How am I going to restore when the computer keeps on crashing during the restore???

Hi,

What is the BSOD message?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:07 AM

• Hi,

What is the BSOD message?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server

Hi,
      I have never had a blue screen when a pc is crashing stay on the screen for more than a fraction of a second.  Can not state what it says.

R.T.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:31 PM
  • You will find the error usually also in the event log (of a running system, not in the Windows PE recovery environment, which is used for the restore, unfortunately).
    In Control Panel/System you can change the behavior on crash in a way, that the machine does not automatically reboot.
    This excludes of course situations, which are fully outside of the control of the OS - i.e. a dieing power supply or thermal caused crashes (CPU cooler, Video Card cooler and network cooler are often full of dust, especially on older PCs).
    So open the case and take a carefull look. Also look for capacitors blowing up (as this was the main reason for dieing Dell PCs in our company in the last years, although in the Optiplex range).

In case of a BSOD caused by hardware the best software restore can fix nothing.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Olaf,
      When I dug this computer out of a dumpster (I was not looking for lunch, I was depositing garbage) it was full of dust.  After cleaning it up, installing new drivers and a new graphics board, it has been purrrring along for over 6 months.  I checked inside and found nothing burned out or even looking that way. (been a ham for over 30 years and know what a cooked cap looks like)  I have an idea that I am going to try and will let you know in a few days when I have time to work on it.  Keep up the good work, helping.

R.T.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Well, I found some time to check this unit out.  The problem is something I have never had happen to any computer:  A memory board went bad.  By changing it out I was able to repair the problem and get it up and running again.

R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:21 AM
    • Edited by R.T._CAT Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:24 AM small correction.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Nice that you found the cause.
    Memory failures are always unexpected and hard to find.

As mentioned: In case of a BSOD caused by hardware the best software restore can fix nothing.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Log on to your server using e.g. remote desktop. Once you have done so:
    • Right click My computer.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Settings button under Startup and recovery.
    • Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart.
    This will leave your server sitting at the blue screen if/when you experience another.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Log on to your server using e.g. remote desktop. Once you have done so:
    • Right click My computer.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Settings button under Startup and recovery.
    • Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart.
    This will leave your server sitting at the blue screen if/when you experience another.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Good info.  I will keep that wriiten down some where.

I would also like to state what a great job WHS did on the restore of this unit.  The second time it has saved me.

R.T.

Monday, July 6, 2009 12:11 AM