My Tasks - An unexpected error has occurred" RRS feed

• Question

• This was previous thread "Cannot communicate with server. Verify your connection and try again"

I have started a new thread to aid focus. I am using RC environment - server patched to 4747.

I have a large plan sheduled in minutes (1000 tasks over 50 hours).  20+ resources with only one resource assigned per task.

Originally thought this plan was corrupted (seeded from MSP2003 plan). So after saving it to 2010, I resaved it to an excel file and rebuilt in in 2010. The base task data was pulled in from Excel 2010 and I pasted in resources and task meta data from 2010 original plan.

Saved and published the plan.

Went to My task page and though slow was able to see assignments.

I made a copy of this plan and renamed it (Plan B). Saved and Published.  My Task page now returns "An unexpected error has occurred".

I deleted published Plan A, and revisited My Task Page it worked fine. I republished Plan A and My Task Page failed.

I deleted published Plan B and revisited My Task Page it worked fine. I republished Plan B and My Task Page failed.

So conclusion one or other plan is fine - both together causes an error.

I can replicate this problem, so I think there is some cross wiring in the database. 

rgds

Mike

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just another comment - the situation does not happen with all cloned plans. There is something in this plan which provokes the problem.

rgds

Mike

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Mike:

The procedure you are using is bad and causing the problem. Cloning project plans that have not been stripped down as templates almost always causes assignment corruptions. This is nothing new in 2010, and has been the case in prior versions as well. Stop cloning plans on the server and you will not see this type of problem.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi Gary

Cloning is probably a bad word. I understand your comment and took considerable care to rebuild the plan(by using an excel file). After all 2010 offers the ability to construct plans from lists. I suspect the problem is more to do with copying and pasting (which should generally be avoided). The difficulty with plans of this size is rebuilding them from scratch.

The need to investigate how 2010 behaves and understand the opportunites it presents means copying of existing plans is a necessity, if for no other reason than to understand limitations and gotchas.

rgds

Mike

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Mike:

Well then, Gotcha! Indeed cloining and cutting and pasting continue to be an issue. How about using the Import Wizard after saving off the plan as a template with the scrubbing options set in the Save As template dialog. Have you tried that?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    • Marked as answer by Sleekstone Friday, March 26, 2010 9:53 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi Gary

There's a (mis)quote of Winston Churchill about Americans, which often applies to my EPM activities -

"They always do the right thing......after exhausting every other possibility"

Template approach was a success, though Project crashed as it saved the template!

rgds

Mike

Friday, March 26, 2010 9:52 AM