none
calculation of cluster number from disk characteristics (chs)

Question

• the problem:

there are times when one desires to clone a HDD of w10 to a SSD.  But if the HDD has a small number of bad tracks, most cloning hardware will not work.

this posting is a conceptual approach to identifying the file, some of which is in the bad sector...so that the file can be moved and the bad sector marked as not usable....so that cloning can take place.

conceptual solution:

(1) using various hardware, a person can identify the physical address  of a sector that is bad. an example is Partition Guru

(2) using sysinternal's  diskview, one can identify a file given a cluster number.  the process is not a direct outcome of the application but it will work with iterative effort.

(3) knowing the physical address of the bad sector it would be nice to be able to calculate the cluster number at which time i could reach my objective.

but i understood that cluster numbers are a conceptual object and not related to the physical disk.  Can anyone help me reach my goal....and if it is not reachable.....offer an alternative suggestion?

identify the track and sector of the physical disk problem.  In my case i used Partition Guru, but any program that gives you the exact address of the physical disk problem

whburling

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Friday, April 15, 2016 2:10 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello whburling

It is true that if there are bad sectors on the original hard drive, you clone it to SSD would not solve the problem. 

You can check disk with command line prompt to see if there is something wrong.

Press windows key + R to open run box. Type cmd to open command line prompt. type chkdsk X and hit Enter.

X represents the disk drive you need to check. 

If this cannot help, you may need to check disk with the help of third party software. It seems like Partition Guru cannot find the physical address of the bad sector. Why not try another one? I recommend check error in Aomei Partition Assistant. The standard version if free for W 10.

If that cannot solve your issue, either. Then I would suggest you to do a fresh install W10 on the SSD. 

I hope one of this could help you. If not, that's all I got then. Best.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Where is the Forum... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in one of the Windows 10 IT Pro forums.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Or also try here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowshardware/en-US/home?category=windowshardwaredev

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:30 PM