Call to Enternal Web Service RRS feed

• Question

• I am architecting a solution and wanted to get some imput from the forum. 

I have the need to post campaign information to an external provider through their web service.  I would like to get some thoughts regarding doing so, via the web service call, within the workflow of the campaign creation, or even on a database trigger in CLR code.

I will also be consuming responses from this service in the form of updates to a file on the providers device.

The original design considered a windows service, but this seems to be unnessary infrastructure after some rationalization, as I can accomplish the same using existing and less complex capabilities in SQL Server and CRM Campaign workflow, and it would entail less processing costs.

Any thoughs or comments?

Thanks,
    JMac

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi.

Do you need post required information to external web service on demand, some attributes change or periodically?
    If on demand - you can use Java Script and client extension controls. Look this page .
    If on some attribute change or some record creation - the best way is plugin .
    If periodically - you can write Windows Service which by some timer will retrieve data from MS CRM and post it to external web service.

And one more all methods i've described - are supported.

Trigger in database - is not supported solution.
    Truth is opened the prepared mind My blog - http://a33ik.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Thanks a33ik,

This is a post of campaign executions.  A one time load of email activity for the campaign is formated and uploaded to the provider (via a secure connection) using the web service.  I will later process responses from the provider using a file updated by the provider and accessible through the same secure connection via the web service. 

Your response was informative.  I will likely construct the file uploaded to the provider using a stored procedure executed via the an insert/update trigger on the campaign table.  Then use a File Watcher service to handle the submission via the web service.  I can use the same file watcher service to watch for the providers responses, and update the email responses as updates occur.

Thanks again.
    JMac

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi.

Write a post update/create plugin instead of triggers. This works, but such customizations are not supported. Look page .
    Truth is opened the prepared mind My blog - http://a33ik.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:33 PM