how to add WHS-AddIn property to my WXS file RRS feed

• Question

• According to the SDK, WHS-AddIn property is necessary to deploy a customer console tab, but how?  The Wix compiler and linker couldn't  identify WHS-AddIn. Does anybody have a sample WXS file? 

the MSI file that you create for your Add-in should contain the following properties in order to be used as a Windows Home Server Add-in:

• Manufacturer - states who created the Add-in.
      ProductName - states the name of the Add-in.
      ProductVersion - states the version of the Add-in.
      WHS-AddIn - set to 1 to indicate that the Add-in is designed for Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 1:30 AM

Answers

• The way of adding property is dependent on the dev tools you use. The sample in SDK shows how to do it if you use WIX. 

MSDN documentation had mistake in naming the property - it is WHSLogo (not WHS-Addin) - sorry, doc bug, will be fixed... thanks for pointing it, though we found it already too... One more mistake we found there is that the doc refers to Add-Ins directory, while the correct address is  \\server\SOFTWARE\Add-ins - again sorry, will be fixed...    If you have WHSLogo property in MSI (mandatory) and put MSI  into the right directory, it should be detected and shown in "Available" tab.

Monday, May 14, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Please try out the following one and see if it works for you. Smile 

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2003/01/wi">
      <Product Name="Windows Home Server SDKSample"
        Id="139E9519-8D3C-4a94-9323-D511BBF0E7B9"
        UpgradeCode='AF6C71C2-E31A-4679-A132-0545FECFCEC3'
        Manufacturer='Microsoft Corporation' Version="1.0.0"
        Language='1033' Codepage='1252'>
        <Package Id='D5F3B84B-EFAD-4f54-8292-1C2E8EF12F90' Manufacturer="Microsoft" InstallerVersion="200" Platforms="Intel" Languages="1033" Compressed="yes" SummaryCodepage="1252" />
        <Property Id="WHSLogo"><![CDATA[1]]></Property>

<Condition Message='You can not install Home Server SDKSample on this version of Windows. For more information, please refer to the User Guide.'>VersionNT &gt;= 501</Condition>

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
          <Directory Id='ProgramFilesFolder' Name='PFiles'>
            <Directory Id='WHS' Name='WHSgrp' LongName="Windows Home Server">
              <Component Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Guid="5702E635-F7E9-4a43-8C18-930FB4F3B55E">
                <File Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Name="WHSInfo.dll" LongName="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" src="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes" DiskId="1" />
              </Component>
              <Component Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Guid="B1D4E264-440E-4298-B149-483EE389A62E">
                <File Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Name="Sample.dll" LongName="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" src="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes" DiskId="1" />
              </Component>
            </Directory>
          </Directory>
        </Directory>

<Feature Id="DefaultFeature" Level="1">
          <ComponentRef Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" />
          <ComponentRef Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" />
        </Feature>

<Media Id="1" EmbedCab="yes" Cabinet="SDKSample_cab" />

</Product>
    </Wix>

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I got it to work with the code example from here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb400729.aspx

Note: there is a dot at the end of the code which shouldn't be there.

Greets,

Alex

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 1:39 PM
  • I'm so upset to say that i have done everything according to the SDK,

but still could neither find my application installer in the available Add-ins,

nor find my tab is added to the console after i copy my dll file to Windows Home Server directory and restart.

Can anybody give me a complete project source code for reference?

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:36 AM
  • The same for me - I cannot get my add-in to be seen.

I'm using CTP (1371) and C# Visual Studio Express 2005.

I've used the C# template provided by Ken Warren - deleted and added a reference to where my HomeServerExt is located, saved it and built it.

I've tried copying the generated dll (SampleWHSTab1.dll) from the release folder in Visual Studio to c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server - no go.

I created a folder \\Server\Add-ins and put SampleWHSTab1.dll and SampleWHSTab1.msi (based on the WIX file from the MS sdk pages) and it is still not seen.

The namespace in HomeServerTabExtender.cs and SampleSettings.cs is:

namespace Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.SampleWHSTab1

The assembly name and default namespace is SampleWHSTab1.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong / why it doen't work ? 

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

first I have to say that if you don't get your Addin to work when copying the .dll file to the c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server directory, then you don't need to try with a .msi, it won't work.

The dll must have the following format: HomeServerConsoleTab.<AppName>.dll !

The Assembly name also must be: HomeServerConsoleTab.<AppName> .

The namespace-name you are using is correct.

Greets Alex

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Thanks AliG - using the correct assembly name sorted it out
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:32 PM
  • I've got my tab shown in the console when i copyed my dll file to Window Home Server directory.

However,  add my MSI file the Add-Ins directory still make no sense to the available Add-ins of the console.  Since the SDK says a WHS-Addin property should be added to the MSI file, i believe that the reason, but how to add WHS-Addin property? I never seen an example.  If anybody got it, please please help me.

Add, beside such a long name format, how many other restrict rules are there for customer console tab? When i try to access another dll of mine in my console tab, my console tab just disappear from the console.

Friday, May 11, 2007 2:49 AM
  • The way of adding property is dependent on the dev tools you use. The sample in SDK shows how to do it if you use WIX. 

MSDN documentation had mistake in naming the property - it is WHSLogo (not WHS-Addin) - sorry, doc bug, will be fixed... thanks for pointing it, though we found it already too... One more mistake we found there is that the doc refers to Add-Ins directory, while the correct address is  \\server\SOFTWARE\Add-ins - again sorry, will be fixed...    If you have WHSLogo property in MSI (mandatory) and put MSI  into the right directory, it should be detected and shown in "Available" tab.

Monday, May 14, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

But the wix tools refused WHSLogo as well as WHS-AddIn, the tools version is 3.0.2420, can it support WHSLogo?

Where can i access the useful version of wix tools?

Please, please give me an example of WIX file with WHSLogo property.

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Liu, time permitting I'll post a little "how to" tonight. I have a fully functional .wxs to install my sample add-ins.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Please try out the following one and see if it works for you. Smile 

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2003/01/wi">
      <Product Name="Windows Home Server SDKSample"
        Id="139E9519-8D3C-4a94-9323-D511BBF0E7B9"
        UpgradeCode='AF6C71C2-E31A-4679-A132-0545FECFCEC3'
        Manufacturer='Microsoft Corporation' Version="1.0.0"
        Language='1033' Codepage='1252'>
        <Package Id='D5F3B84B-EFAD-4f54-8292-1C2E8EF12F90' Manufacturer="Microsoft" InstallerVersion="200" Platforms="Intel" Languages="1033" Compressed="yes" SummaryCodepage="1252" />
        <Property Id="WHSLogo"><![CDATA[1]]></Property>

<Condition Message='You can not install Home Server SDKSample on this version of Windows. For more information, please refer to the User Guide.'>VersionNT &gt;= 501</Condition>

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
          <Directory Id='ProgramFilesFolder' Name='PFiles'>
            <Directory Id='WHS' Name='WHSgrp' LongName="Windows Home Server">
              <Component Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Guid="5702E635-F7E9-4a43-8C18-930FB4F3B55E">
                <File Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Name="WHSInfo.dll" LongName="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" src="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes" DiskId="1" />
              </Component>
              <Component Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Guid="B1D4E264-440E-4298-B149-483EE389A62E">
                <File Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Name="Sample.dll" LongName="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" src="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes" DiskId="1" />
              </Component>
            </Directory>
          </Directory>
        </Directory>

<Feature Id="DefaultFeature" Level="1">
          <ComponentRef Id="HomeServerConsoleTab.SDKSample.dll" />
          <ComponentRef Id="Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll" />
        </Feature>

<Media Id="1" EmbedCab="yes" Cabinet="SDKSample_cab" />

</Product>
    </Wix>

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Many many thanks to you. I can see and install my add-in now.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:30 AM