OEM problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using an OEM version of XP pro since December and  loaded the latest versions of Media Player and IE at that time. Windows update has kept my computer up-to-date with all of the latest security fixes.

However, today when I tried to download the beta version of the newI E, I get the message that my copy is not genuine. Windows update will not let me check for any software updates. I have the COA and have checked it, and the installaton CD, against the examples on the MS website and can see no difference between mine and what is considered legal.

What can I do next? Confusing and frustrating!!

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:12 PM

Answers

• Ehuggins,

When the installed Product Key (PK) matches the one on the COA, and the installed editions of XP are the same as on the COA, in your case XP Pro, yet the PK comes up as invalid, as I understand it, there are two possible explanations:

1.  Some sort of clerical error that has put a valid PK on the invalid list.

2.  You have received a hi-quality counterfeit copy of XP Pro.

May I suggest initiating an email support request at the following link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

The support staff will doublecheck everything.

Keep checking back to this thread for advice from the MS reps that are responsible for this newsgroup, they may have better advice or information than I.  Today is a federal holiday in the USA, so you might have to wait until tomorrow for an official response.

In the meantime, your computer will continue to operate, and while you will not be able to get MS downloads and manually do Windows Updates, security updates will still be sent to you if you have automatic updates set.

One last thing, you'll want to gather the materials surrounding the purchase of this copy of XP as they might be needed if it turns out this is a hi quality counterfeit and you want to submit a claim for a complimentary replacement.

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:00 PM

All replies

• Ehuggins,

You'll want to check the Product Key printed on the COA against the product key and license type that is reported by the MS diagnostic tool:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the tool, click copy to clipboard, the paste into this thread in a new message.  The tool obscures any sensitive info.

We'll be looking at what Product Key comes up, whether it's  listed as blocked or invalid, and the type of license installed.

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:16 PM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-CJHKM-VXYTW-BYB4W
    Windows Product Key Hash: RTrFUHS8aeoprQQK9SqBvvnC0Lk=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4303155-23521
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 6D6Y38B
    ID: 9f484906-19f9-410a-b1ab-006edf044c99
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Prompt
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Prompt

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>9f484906-19f9-410a-b1ab-006edf044c99</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BYB4W</PKey><PID>55274-640-4303155-23521</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1482476501-436374069-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTeK Computer INC.</Manufacturer><Model>A7N8X-E</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1013 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20041112000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7BF731670184AE5F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{913D0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>890C50BD5A503CC</Val><Hash>VZjSIYZa1/f8FU44ADsBLj0FEd8=</Hash><Pid>55866-718-4388865-17428</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:27 PM
  • Ehuggins,

Without posting the product key (PK) on your COA, compare it to the one reported by the diagnostic tool (note that the tool oscures the first two groups of characters).  Are they the same?

Also, please confirm that on the COA you have there has black lettering that reads "OEM Software."  Which XP is the COA for,  XP Home, Pro, or Media Center?

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:36 PM
  • The PK on the COA matches the one on the diag. tool.

At the top of the COA, it reads:

Windows XP Professional 1-2cpu

OEM Software

There is also a separate smaller sticker that says that is should be attached to the exterior of the computer. The serial number on that matches  the serial # on the COA

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:45 PM
  • Ehuggins,

When the installed Product Key (PK) matches the one on the COA, and the installed editions of XP are the same as on the COA, in your case XP Pro, yet the PK comes up as invalid, as I understand it, there are two possible explanations:

1.  Some sort of clerical error that has put a valid PK on the invalid list.

2.  You have received a hi-quality counterfeit copy of XP Pro.

May I suggest initiating an email support request at the following link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

The support staff will doublecheck everything.

Keep checking back to this thread for advice from the MS reps that are responsible for this newsgroup, they may have better advice or information than I.  Today is a federal holiday in the USA, so you might have to wait until tomorrow for an official response.

In the meantime, your computer will continue to operate, and while you will not be able to get MS downloads and manually do Windows Updates, security updates will still be sent to you if you have automatic updates set.

One last thing, you'll want to gather the materials surrounding the purchase of this copy of XP as they might be needed if it turns out this is a hi quality counterfeit and you want to submit a claim for a complimentary replacement.

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:00 PM
  • thanks for your help!
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:33 AM
  • You're welcome.

Good Luck! :-)

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:22 AM
  • Its not working what can i do???
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:01 PM
  • DeryaSara,

May I suggest that you start your own thread in the following forum, which is specifically for problem-solving:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

When you post, please offer as much non-personal detail as you can--include error messages, symptoms, make and model of computer, what you were trying to do when the problem happened, etc.

Thank You and Good Luck.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:05 PM