none
Single (Default) Hard Drive Not Added RRS feed

• Question

• I just built my WHS and have updated it with all the latest and greatest updates from Windows Update.  There are no add-ins installed.  I have a couple of things going wrong that don't make much sense for a fresh install. 

My big concern is that the only hard drive in the server, a 1TB Samsung SATA drive shows as 'Not Added' and doesn't allow me the option to add it, remove it, or anything.  I think this probably has something to do with the fact that the server can't calculate the drive's total size and free space either.  How do I fix this?

Is it possible that this can also be the cause of the Backup Service not running error I'm getting AND the load of File Conflict errors?  Ooooohhhhh, and there is also a message that says Volume with name Primary Volume has failed.  Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix problems.

This is a brand new hard drive.  I know they can fail right form the factory but this isn't showing any signs of failure.  What is the 'Repair' the error message is referring to?

>>>UPDATE:  I ran a S.M.A.R.T test on the HDD and it passed.  Also ran Hard Disk Sentinel which reported that the disk is running at 86F and is 100% healthy.  Chkdsk zipped through the first 4 tests and I suspect will also pass the free space check (test 5).  WHS is totally wrong about the condition of the disk so what do I do to help it understand this?

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:46 AM

All replies

• Are you sure nothing went wrong during the installation?

--
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:42 PM
  • All of your errors are due to the "not added" state of the drive. Try reinstalling.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Reintstalling from scratch?  Is there a repair option?  I'm positive nothing went wrong during the installation - there were no errors.  I did resize the C: partition which I'm guessing has something to do with this, thought I'm not sure how.  I did it on another install without issues and on this install there are still no errors generated.  I hate the idea of starting from scratch.  If I do is there a generally accepted way of increasing the size of the C: partition?

Thanks

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Server reinstallation is your best bet here. It may detect and rebuild your storage pool.

There is an option within the X:\Files edition installer to do the resize before install

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:08 PM
  • OK - what is the X:\Files edition installer?  Nevermind. Just found it.  Not sure this is for me.  Going to try the other method I keep finding. Just a thought though - if I changed the values in the registry for my C and D drives would the problem be fixed?

When I changed the Size values of the volume registry keys (and one or two other corresponding values) I rebooted the computer.  After booting into Windows the last part of the WHS install "Finalizing installation" came up, but failed with an error code I didn't record.  I think there's something to this method but i don't know enough to explore it.

I'm now attempting a server reinstallation.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Reintstalling from scratch?  Is there a repair option?  I'm positive nothing went wrong during the installation - there were no errors.  I did resize the C: partition which I'm guessing has something to do with this, thought I'm not sure how.  I did it on another install without issues and on this install there are still no errors generated.  I hate the idea of starting from scratch.  If I do is there a generally accepted way of increasing the size of the C: partition?

There's no repair option, but normally you can go through the installation process, add drivers at the hardware detection screen, and when you're asked what kind of installation you want you should have the option for a reinstallation or recovery (wording depends on the exact version of your installation media). See this FAQ for an outline of the process and what to watch out for.

And no, resizing the C: partition isn't supported and is known to cause severe issues if not done carefully and correctly. I recommend sticking with the 20 GB default.

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Installed the server installation CD and was presented with the option to reinstall the server OS.  Worked like a charm.  My existing partitions were honored and the data I had on the D: partition staid intact.  It's a shame to have to go through reinstalling the OS and drivers and 100+ Windows updates for something that should be fixed with a registry edit.  Hopefully in Vail they will have added a little flexibility in this area.

Once I am done with this install i will image it to use as part of a very small business offering (already configured with updates, add-ins, and a small office security suite) - kinda a "small office in a box".  A couple of simple scripts to update the server name, software key, and SSID and I cut a substantial amount of time out of new office setups and workgroup-to-WHS setups. 

I don't think the OS partition is sufficient.  The OS and the pagefile on a system with 4GB of RAM takes up a little space.  With consideration for server side business apps (my existing install will run Quickbooks Enterprise edition), an Internet security suite, WSUS, etc. I think I will fast fill the majority of that 20GB.  The more free space on the partition the faster/smoother things will run.  I'm just looking for headroom.

Did you notice that something about the PowerPack 3 update tricks WHS into believing that the hardware on the system has changed significantly enough to require another activiation?  I've activated 4 times so far (had to install 2x).  Thankfully I didn't have to call the hotline or I'd be pretty disappointed with my WHS.

MJ

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:57 PM
  • You have to add the drive to the server storage pool.  Until you add them to the server pool, they remain unavailable to the server.  They can still be used via the desktop connector but not via the server.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:34 AM
    I don't think the OS partition is sufficient.  The OS and the pagefile on a system with 4GB of RAM takes up a little space.  With consideration for server side business apps (my existing install will run Quickbooks Enterprise edition), an Internet security suite, WSUS, etc. I think I will fast fill the majority of that 20GB.  The more free space on the partition the faster/smoother things will run.  I'm just looking for headroom.

I'll note that nothing you're installing is supported on Windows Home Server. Consider Windows Server 2008 instead for your small business offering, because you do not want to be in the position of explaining to a client that "Well, I installed Quickbooks on this, and Intuit says it's not supported, but it will work fine." Particularly if an issue occurs. Intuit will not be helpful in that case, and you will be left twisting in the wind.

I do think that Windows Home Server has a place in the microbusiness. That place is as a backup system for up to 10 critical workstations, and a basic small workgroup file server. Nothing more. For line of business applications, use a line of business server OS.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:13 PM