none
C:\ (Sys) Partitiion Full - What Software can Change The Partition Safely RRS feed

• Question

• After the recent Windows Security updates, the C:\ (Sys) patition (20 Gig. is essentially full and I am getting system error messages about deleting unused files. Doing so hasn't helped at all. There is only 45 meg left.  I need to take space from the other section of the physical drive for the sys partition as there is unused space on the data portion of the physical disk.  Can you recommend a good disk/partition utility that we help me increase the system partition?  

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:17 AM

Answers

• There are no tools for changing the size of the WHS system partition. Even though it's possible (has been described also in this forum) I would advise you not to attempt resizing the system partition unless you don't mind risking your data.

Most common reason for filling up of system partition is excessive growth of whs log files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs or IIS log files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1. To resolve logon to your home server desktop and delete all but the most recent logs. When deleting the log files please make sure you also empty the recycle bin or delete the files by pressing Shift Key and Delete keys at the same time (Slect files to be deleted, Press and hold Shift Key then hit Delete key whils holding Shift Key).

If the problem is not in the log files you can use  TreeSize free to find the files/folders filling up your C partition.

Best check regularly if the C drive is filling up again. If so you may need to do additonal checks to find and eliminate the root of the problem.

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:02 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:38 PM

All replies

• There are no tools for changing the size of the WHS system partition. Even though it's possible (has been described also in this forum) I would advise you not to attempt resizing the system partition unless you don't mind risking your data.

Most common reason for filling up of system partition is excessive growth of whs log files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs or IIS log files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1. To resolve logon to your home server desktop and delete all but the most recent logs. When deleting the log files please make sure you also empty the recycle bin or delete the files by pressing Shift Key and Delete keys at the same time (Slect files to be deleted, Press and hold Shift Key then hit Delete key whils holding Shift Key).

If the problem is not in the log files you can use  TreeSize free to find the files/folders filling up your C partition.

Best check regularly if the C drive is filling up again. If so you may need to do additonal checks to find and eliminate the root of the problem.

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:02 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Most common reason for filling up of system partition is excessive growth of whs log files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs or IIS log files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1. To resolve logon to your home server desktop and delete all but the most recent logs. When deleting the log files please make sure you also empty the recycle bin or delete the files by pressing Shift Key and Delete keys at the same time (Slect files to be deleted, Press and hold Shift Key then hit Delete key whils holding Shift Key).

I'm confused here. As I understand it, WHS users aren't supposed to have to deal with this kind of thing at all.

If the unwanted files are being generated by WHS, why isn't there something on the WHS Console to cleanup the log folder? As it happens though, I don't think it's the WHS logs that have filled my SYS disk, I think it's Windows Update patches...and it seems to me there should be some automatic way to keep that cleaned up too.

Has this issue been addressed in Vail?

Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Athena,

Your question is a good one.  My server has been is service for overa a year. Not until this month did the individual log file size become incredible large. My question is, why is this happening?

JRD 

Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Ken, 

Your thought about clearing out log files was spot on.  However, two things are very puzzling and prompts a question.  First puzzler:  My server has been in service for over a year, why is it happing now and every few days even after each clean up. The second pluzzler is:  the log files gernerating in several instances are hugh! The DEutil log files range form 100 meg to 900 meg every individual hour of every day, why?  Can it be related to the Carbonite(TM) software have any inpact on the large log files?

Finally my question, are there log file settings I can change to return to the days of not having to delete these very large log files every few days?

JRD

Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:16 PM
  • What did you change on your server around the time you started noticing this problem? Most likely, that's the cause.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Ken

Your question is a good one.  I have not changed any system settings.  The only major changes I can think of are the addition of Carbonite(TM) software or the last hugh Microsoft Security update. Other than those the only changes I have made are the addtion of a 2Terabyte hard drive and the occasional Microsoft update.

JRD

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:31 PM