70-297 RRS feed

• Question

• I just wrote the 70-297 exam, unfortunately I failed. I found that I just didn't have enough time to read the case studies and then still have time to properly answer the questions, I basically had to rush through everything and that clearly didn't work. Has anyone got any tips for me on how to tackle this problem?

Thank you
    Kylan
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• I just wrote the 70-297 exam, unfortunately I failed. I found that I just didn't have enough time to read the case studies and then still have time to properly answer the questions, I basically had to rush through everything and that clearly didn't work. Has anyone got any tips for me on how to tackle this problem?

Thank you
    Kylan

Condolences on your fail, you'll do better next time. 

While I didn't do the 70-297, as I did the 2000 route (which included 70-219, the 2k design exam) then the upgrades, plus the 70-298 (the 2k3 security version).  The only tip, apart from studying very hard, was to first skim the questions, then see the answers that they give and match the correct answer with the questions.  That worked with me on the design exams I did, however it was also mainly due to years of speed reading and experience of doing the job.  Down side is that does not mean that it'll work for everyone...

You may also want to read this: http://certcities.com/editorial/Features/story.asp?EditorialsID=84

Quote:

Design test 70-297 is perhaps the most difficult computer test I’ve taken to date, if only because it’s virtually impossible to write down all the scenario factoids and requirements and also answer the questions correctly. You won’t be able to read the scenarios, write down all the requirements and then answer the questions in the allotted time period, like you might have been able to do on previous design tests.

A successful strategy I found is to read only the main part of the scenario and then rely on the questions to point me back to the parts of the scenario that I didn’t read. That way, I only focus on what I need to know to answer the questions.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:12 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:15 PM

All replies

Thank you
    Kylan

Condolences on your fail, you'll do better next time. 

While I didn't do the 70-297, as I did the 2000 route (which included 70-219, the 2k design exam) then the upgrades, plus the 70-298 (the 2k3 security version).  The only tip, apart from studying very hard, was to first skim the questions, then see the answers that they give and match the correct answer with the questions.  That worked with me on the design exams I did, however it was also mainly due to years of speed reading and experience of doing the job.  Down side is that does not mean that it'll work for everyone...

You may also want to read this: http://certcities.com/editorial/Features/story.asp?EditorialsID=84

Quote:

Design test 70-297 is perhaps the most difficult computer test I’ve taken to date, if only because it’s virtually impossible to write down all the scenario factoids and requirements and also answer the questions correctly. You won’t be able to read the scenarios, write down all the requirements and then answer the questions in the allotted time period, like you might have been able to do on previous design tests.

A successful strategy I found is to read only the main part of the scenario and then rely on the questions to point me back to the parts of the scenario that I didn’t read. That way, I only focus on what I need to know to answer the questions.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:12 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:15 PM
  •   I felt your pain...again, and again, and again....7 times...and on the eighth day, I passed.  In the initial tests, time was a factor and I had to learn how to take the test in a timely manner.  I would also have passed this test earlier if I didn't have a calamity of test environments (beligerant test taker; proctor locked himself in the testing room and pulled, pried and pounded on the door during my test; one time my test crashed five times resulting in me stopping, moving and starting five times...and there was more).  Six months of testing....yikes.  But don't give up, it won't be that bad for you...or for whomever reads this. 

First, you should take this exam last in the list of the MCSE exams.  It will ensure you know enough to face the test.  Second, you must read the Microsoft Training Kit for 70-297 book. Third, you will have to purchase other practice tests... I tried the tests that come with the book, ExamForce, LabSim, Transcender and uCertify - these are all vetted sources - use CertGuard to check your sources.  The tests that came with the book were enormous and were information overload.  It is a good source, but there is not enough flexibility in the presented exam to provide you a "like test day experience." ExamForce was mediocre at best - answer errors etc; LabSim gave a great one over the world view and the tests were OK, but still left a little to be desired (good practice for what you will face); uCertify was better still and gave a different approach and seemed to round out knowledge as well as what to expect; leaving Transcender as the best testing source.  I bought the Transcender study guide (worthless if you have the book already) and took every test literally dozens of times.  It is the best resource I found. Flash cards, individual tests, timed tests.  I will explain the value added for time in a moment.  If I was going to recommend three resources, the book, Transcender and uCertify were the best.  

I also used articles on Technet related to Directory Service and upgrading from one Server to another.... Read information on NT upgrades as this was very helpful.

I am a methodical person, so time was an issue for me.  Once I read something, I retain it for a very long time; however, speed reduces that capacity and going through the plethora of testlets resulted in me having a few "buffer overflow" moments (scenarios ran together and you must keep each separate).  That flustered me and I was likely making stupid mistakes.  You have to learn to tackle the test while taking fairly detailed notes.  I developed my own short hand that enabled me to write much faster.  You can use the Transcender individual tests to read a scenario (untimed) and use your shorthand to pull important information from the scenario (things like FT - Fault Tolerant, SPOF - Single Point of Failure, SCR DNS O AUTH COMP REG - Secure DNS only authorized computers allowed to register).  Over time, you will get much faster and recognize key pieces of information more readily.  You may see diagrams; don't draw them, you can always click back to see them. I did however sketch the forest(s) and Domains as they became clear - a big help.  Other things I have seen in blogs recommended that you quickly review the questions and then find the answer...this wasn't working for me at first - but after seeing the material so much, I was able to go through the questions at the beginning and give a best guess; then went back through the scenario to prove or disprove my answers. 

I have to concur that this was the hardest MS test I have ever encountered - not because of the material which I found normal to easy in difficulty, but to get over the time issue.  I would love to take credit for the above, but I had a mentor which helped me focus on the real issues with which I was having difficulty.  His guidance allowed me to improve my speed and develop the skills I needed to pass this monster.   

Hopefully anyone else reading this will benefit.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:04 AM