MS Money 2003 will not import/convert to MS Money 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Money 2003 Standard running on Windows XP SP3.  My ultimate goal is to get this Money file with 10 years of data onto my Windows 8.1 machine.  Some preliminary reading led me to believe I needed to convert to Quicken first, then take the converted file and place on new machine.

I tried to open the Money 2003 file with the sunset version and it starts to convert, looks for upcoming bills, and then just does nothing (not responding) so I force close it.

I purchased MS Money 2007 recently thinking this version would be a stepping stone to Quicken, but I get the same results ... it won't finalize or completely convert the file.

thanks

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:39 AM

All replies

• If your Money 2003 is a US version, Money Sunset should be able to read it.  But Money Sunset may not run properly on Windows XP without a patch.  See the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

I suggest that you:

- install Money Sunset on your Windows 8.1 machine. (Money runs on 8.1 without the patch.)

- copy your Money.mny file to your Windows 8.1 machine and place it in your Documents folder

- double-click on the copied file and see if it opens and converts

If that's what you have already done or if you encounter a problem, post back.  Once you are up and running on your 8.1 machine and if you want to continue to use Money, you may want to apply the patch.  A future update to Windows 8.1 could conceivably cause Money to fail without it.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:36 AM
  • thanks for your suggestion - unfortunately it didn't work.  The same scenario as I described initially is now occurring on the 8.1 machine.  It asks for my password, it then begins to open the file, looks for upcoming bills, says it's converting but just spins and "not responding"

I even worked with a few transactions on the XP machine, saved that file, and then used it on the 8.1 machine for sunset to open.

Friday, December 5, 2014 2:54 AM
  • I think you are saying that the minimal file works fine. But the real file does not convert, even if allowed to run for several hours.

I would try making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

See if the repaired file works right.

Friday, December 5, 2014 1:19 PM
  • If Cal's suggestion doesn't help, I would next try removing the password from your Money file.  Then copy the file to your Windows 8.1 machine and see if will open.

Bill Becker

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:36 PM
  • not sure what the "minimal" file is, but it had the .mnf extension. I've tried using the .mbf and .mnf files to see if they'd open/convert.

And yes, I let it run overnight (6 or 7 hours) to see if it really was converting.

I'll try repairing the file next, thanks.

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:47 PM
  • how do I remove the password?
    Friday, December 5, 2014 4:48 PM
  • I'm travelling and don't have access to Money, but the password removal function is somewhere in the File menu. 

If your password is associated with a Microsoft email, then you need to disconnect from the internet (pull the internet  plug or disable your wireless connection), open Money and select "Log in Offline" to remove the password.

Bill Becker

Friday, December 5, 2014 5:00 PM
  • The main Money file is a *.mny file.

When you convert a Money 2003 file to Money Plus, it will leave a *.m11 file, which is a copy of the Money 2003 file before conversion was attempted. You could use the *.m11 file as the source file for the repair.

I don't remember how to remove a password in Money 2003. It may be done with something in the File menu.

Friday, December 5, 2014 5:01 PM
  • I repaired the file as you indicated.  I then clicked on "view log" to examine the results.  It said "no broken files" ugh!

I have a variety of files .mnf, .m11, .mbf and have tried to open/convert them all.

since there were no broken files, I didn't see the need to try and open it.

I'll try removing the password now - but that doesn't make sense to me b/c as I'm going thru the launch process, it indicates the file is password protected and asks me for the password.  I enter it, and it takes off acting as if it's going to open/convert.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:16 AM
  • I opened my working, up to date file on the XP machine and removed the password.  Closed Money and re-opened it.  It asked me if I wanted to use a password and I selected no.  It then opened the program and everything is fine.  I closed Money and re-opened it again.  It asked me if I wanted to use a password and I again selected no.  I guess that will be the new norm if I don't have it password protected.

I then copied the file onto a thumb drive and moved over to the 8.1 machine.  I started Money, went to File>open and found the newly saved file on the thumb drive and selected it.  It started to work, convert, looking for upcoming bills .... and stays there ... not responding!!

I sincerely appreciate both you guys efforts and attempts to help me but it's just not looking like this thing is gonna play nice :-(

Thanks again

Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:59 AM
  • If you are not totally frustrated at this point, there is one more possibility.  Some users have reported success in using Money 2004 as an intermediate version to upgrade to Money Sunset.  See this post:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

for a link to a Money 2004 trial.  This should convert your Money 2003 file to Money 2004 format.  Then Money Sunset may be able to convert that.  Unfortunately, the process is not simple.  Be sure to read through the last post.

Bill Becker

Saturday, December 6, 2014 3:42 AM
  • Try this: Copy your *.mny file from your Thumb Drive to the Documents folder on your Win 8.1 computer.  Then double click on that file in your Documents folder.  If all is correct, this should open Money and convert the file to 2005 format.
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 6:16 PM